Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I sell my beloved Eden Stuff?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassstud1, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    OK...With all the talk about Eden. They don't answer their phones. Their mailboxes are full. Do I pull out while I still can and sell my 4-10 XST, WT-1000 & CXC-1015. What are other Eden users doing. I love the sound of my rig but if it's only going to be worth 1/2 as much money in 2 months?

Any opinions on this.

Thanks for your input.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Do you own this rig because, as you state above, "you love the sound," or because you intend to re-sell it? If it's the former, by all means, keep it. If it's the latter, I have no idea. If the Eden rig suits your style and ear, I see no reason to dump it based on whatever status the company happens to be in unless you're having technical problems with it or just want something else.

3. Difficult to say. If you hang on to it, it may be worth a bunch 20 yrs from now. Look at per-CBS Fender and pre-SLM Ampeg stuff....:D I know what you mean though. I just bought a VT-300A and I'm a little worried about service after the sale. In all honesty, I think you should play what you've got as long as it sounds good.

4. Dont be crazy, keep it. I'll never sell mine. I figure it will increase in value (if they do close or get sold) as it will be "original pre-(whoever)" eden gear. Look how much vintage ampeg heads sell for now.

My Eden rig is the first Eden I've owned, and the best rig I've ever owned.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Then keep it.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sell it. I'll give you $200 for the D-410XST. Cash.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I can't see why whatever happens to Eden would make the price drop...

unless they pulled an Ernie Ball;)

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Do I hear $250 for that cab? Yeah, I've got $250 and I'll pay shipping.

The Eden line has always been a top seller. I'd think that if they don't resurface that would make it all that much more valuable. But I really feel that who ever is taking over would be very foolish to not open up and/ or change the level of equipment that Mr. Nordschow has built up.

Just look at what the original Tobias' basses are going for. Also, look at just how reliable the stuff is anyway.

9. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Mate, if you like the sound of your gear, keep it.

Who cares about the resale value!!!

You'll lose more money if you keep selling and buying. Just get the best you can and hold onto it.:)

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What happened to Eden? Why are they in so much trouble? OH I'd say KEEP your rig if you like it

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Keep it... I'll hold onto my WT 300. Prices are going up steadily even for this model. A collapse or restructuring of Eden probably (hopefully) make it more valuable. More importantly, if you like the tone, hold onto it.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If you don't care about resale value, you probably will lose more money.

Just an observation.

13. Fuzzbass

So... if it seemed likely that Eden resale value was going to drop (due to a lookalike import version, perhaps? :D ), would you advise him to sell his amp rig even though he loves it?

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just purchased an Eden rig(WT-500 & 410XLT) a couple of weeks ago. The rig sounds great! I wouldn't even think about selling it, especially just because there is a chance(which I don't think there is) about it loosing value. It is the sound that matters, not re-sale. We all know why Eden is slow right now, and it is probably for the best. I don't see how the equipment would loose value.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    While I was just addressing Classic5's post, you may notice that I had an earlier post in the thread.

"I can't see why whatever happens to Eden would make the price drop...

unless they pulled an Ernie Ball"

I can't see the price dropping. The inference is that I don't see a reason to sell. The exception in this case would not be a lookalike import version, but Ernie Ball's recent liquidation of product on eBay.

If Eden did do the same thing with the gear Bassstud1 has that Ernie Ball did with the Musicman Audiophile cabs, it might be something for him to consider. I just picked up two new EBMM cabs for peanuts. Not lookalikes, the real thing. That doesn't help the resale value of the 210 and 212 cabs people bought at regular prices. The blowout at music stores didn't help either.

I saw the smiley but figured I'd lay this out anyway, in case someone didn't see the difference.
    And there are many levels of love. If he did love it but had his eye on an upgrade, that could weigh into the situation. I've had gear that I was very happy with... until I heard or played something I liked even more.

M'kay?

16. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    If you love the sound, keep it. Whatever is going to happen to Eden, it's already well known that they are in trouble, so your resale is already affected. Nobody's going to pay a premium price now. I don't think the future is going to make it any worse. If there's damage, it's already done. If all you want to do is cut your losses, I think you ought to wait a bit.

My local Eden dealer told me that there were definitely big financial troubles, they were definitely in process of being purchased and if everything goes through as expected, production and service will resume. David declined to name the buyer or say if the production would be US or overseas.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the only reason i'd think to sell it is if you thought you'd need to send it back to eden for some reason.

i'd hang onto it.

18. Fuzzbass

Didn't mean to twit you at all, Brad... I agree that resale value can be a legit concern; I was simply curious about how highly you prioritize it. I did see your earlier post, and I too believe that Eden resale values will remain stable. However I posited a "what if" scenario.

You answered my curiosity later in your reply. Again, I would probably hang onto a rig that I "loved" even if the threat of depreciation were real. The exception would be if there were other (affordable) rigs I knew for certain I'd enjoy just as much... in that case, IF I had a chance to sell before taking that hit (big "if"), then I might go through the trouble of swapping rigs. I'd be much more concerned about the company continuing to provide parts and service for its products.

Just a reminder to everyone else that this is all hypothetical wammajamma.... no evidence that Eden resale value will decline or customer service will permanently suffer.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I say you keep it, or sell it to me.

Im on a completely different train of thought.

I figure since they might be bought out, I should buy more of their equipment before the buy out, so that it quality suffers, I will still have the tone I love.

I just got a 210XST a couple months ago, and a WP-100 Navigator for Christmas and plan on getting another one or two 210XST's if possible before its too late.

I have a good feeling that the value of origional Eden gear will rise, but that still has nothing to do with my plan. Its all about the tone to me.

Peace
    Nick

20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No, no, no, no, ... (hitting forehead)

First Gear Commandment: Thou shalt NEVER sell or get rid of ANY gear!

You will miss it later on! You should only ADD gear!

:D