Should I sell my Fender BXR for a Carvin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beefbass, May 22, 2001.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey guys, I'd like to ask your opinion on something.
    I'm considering selling my Fender BXR 100, and getting either a Carvin PB100-15, or a PB200-15. Have any of you made a switch from a BXR to a Carvin amp before, and if so, how did it turn out?
    I would appreciate the input, since I can't try the Carvin till I buy it(I'm leaning towards the PB200-15 actually.)
    This would be for small gigs and rehearsals. I play a lot of oldies, using a MIM Jazz bass with Fender flatwound strings(my profile has a more complete list of gigs and equipment.)
    Thanks for any input you can give me.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would upgrade to something better than the Carvin Pro Bass line, as long as you're making a change. (Although, IMO, a Carvin would be a step up from a Fender BXR).

For the style of music you seem to be playing, and the fact that you're using flatwound strings, I would recommend something like an Ampeg B100R, or one of Fender's new Bassman amps.

I hope this helps...
  3. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    hey Beefbass,
    I never played through a Carvin (they are hard to come by in where I live), but I gave up my BXR60 (gladly if I may say) for a Fender Bassman100.
    I must say I never looked back and never will, the last two and a half years were completely tone-less. I like my sound much better now and even though the Bassman100 is not the ultimately best amp, it still is much closer to that than the BXR ever was.

bottom line, save as much as you can and get the best amp you can afford, the better the quality, the bigger your surprise will be of how much difference an amp can make in the overall sound.
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I haven't tried one yet, but I have heard a lot of good stuff about the new Bassman amps. I'm definitely gonna look into one of those.
    The Ampeg B100R is pretty close in price, and I've heard that it's really a great amp. I think it's gonna be a real close race between the two of those.
    Will keep ya posted; thanks again for the advice(from what everybody says about the old BXR amps, I think a LOT of used ones are gonna start popping up. Doesn't sound like they're gonna sell well at all, unless they are used as coffee tables.)
  5. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    don't listen to anyone.
    if you like your BXR than it doesn't mean anything what others think.
    it might as well work different for you and sound different with your gear.

I suggest you take your stuff to the nearest shop and try everything they got including BXRs, that way you can compare the BXRs to other stuff in the same acoustic enviorment.

also I think you might be intrested in a head+cab or in a higher output combo.
  6. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I have a bxr 300 which I actually like. Go ahead and toast me. Yes I got it used. From what I understand there is some difference between the bxr 100, bxr 200 and the bxr 300. My point is I tried my bxr 300 relative to a Fender bassman 60 and I thought tone wise the amps were similar. All in all I think the Ampeg Combos have a better tone then the Fenders. Also don't forget Crate they are made by the same company as Ampeg.
  7. Recently I purchased a Carvin PB-200 and I think it is the best combo for it's size power and especially price. I have used a bxr 100 before at my friends house and the Carvin just blew it away. I use my PB-200 about 8-12 hours a week for my band and my schools jazz band and this amp can take a heck of a beating and keep blowing the house down. when I ordered my amp I intended to buy the PB-200 and after waiting a week for the UPS guy to get it to me, I found that they sent me the 100 instead. as soon as I found out about this little mistake I called carvin and told them about the little mishap and they sent the truck by the next day and picked up the amp and got me the new one in two days(they paid for the two day shipping) and they sent me a lot of other cool stuff. so if you want a opinion from someone who has played both amps, you should go ahead and buy the carvin. Again you wont find anything as powerful or as full of features for the price. You will be happy you went with it.
  8. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    I just purchased a Carvin PB100-15 and im totally satisfied with it, The 200 was a little bit to much for were i play, You got to decide whats best for you, Mine was made on price and affordabilaty, And Carvin met both those.