1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should I sell my GK1001 and get a new head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Mar 4, 2008.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    hi!

I am currently playing in a RATM tribute band using my beloved GK 1001RBII head, paired with a cheap 4x10 ashdown mag cab.

Sometimes I think I need a deeper, more vintage tone, a slower attack and less definition...

so I was thinking about selling the GK and getting an ashdown abm head... or another head... the ashdown is the first which came to mind.

I love the way the GK sounds but I think the amp does not suit my band's needs.

what do you think?

PS I know I could get a different tone with bigger speakers, but the other band I play in needs 10s. so I'll keep the ashdown cab.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Unless you are going to go with a tube head, I don't think there is any sense in getting rid of the 1001RBII in search for an RATM sound. The Ashdown won't get you much closer IMO. Have you tried really cranking the boost and woofer volume on the GK? I have been able to get a lot of snarl out of that head.

3. Maybe add a 1X15 or 2X15 to your 4X10?

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Add a Sansamp or other tube emulation device.

5. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    The head is great, just grab an Avatar 212 or something along those lines.

6. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Carvin B1500. Warmer and deeper than the GK.

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i think you already stated your problem - you have a cheap cab. that won't do any quality head justice. keep the GK and upgrade your cab.

8. +1 I added an RBI to my 1001 and love the results. Also as others have said.....upgrade your cab.

9. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Yes-new cab-that will solve your issue. The setup you have now is like a souped-up engine and restrictive exhaust. Open things up...

10. xwpx

xwpx

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I sold mine and picked up an Ampeg SVT 6. Best decsion I've ever made. I've never been so happy with my tone.

11. dude you need a new cab not a new head...

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    New cab, definitely. An Ampeg cab would do you well, and a Sansamp BDDI.

13. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    If you want more of a traditional sound, you can get it with the 1001RB. Like mentioned above, you can crank the boost on & back off a bit of the woofer & end up with a bit of grit/ break up at the front of the note. You could use a tube preamp with the effects loop....warm it up a bit that way....These are all things I've done. I've used that GK gear quite a bit....I don't use it now/ but I'm very familiar with it.I heard a great sounding rig (in a similar musical situation like you're in) that was a couple of BagEnd 15"s with the 1001RB. There weren't any tweeters in the cabs. It was a pleasant sound/ not very high-fi. Not quite my cup of tea/ but it sounded great for that situation.

14. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    +1
    I've been using three Bag End 15's with my 2001RB with very good results.

15. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    The GK should be fine for RATM tribute. Definately, get a new cab w/ low ohms and a high sensitivity speaker rating.

16. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I know an ampeg cab would be good. I also own a svt810 I use with my other band (paired with a hartke head - great sound together), and it sounds wonderful with the gk head.

the fact is I need the ashdown cab because I use it for gigs and I need 10s in the other band I play in... the 810 stays in the other rehearsal room and does not move.. and I can't afford a better 410 for now.

I won't get a sansamp or any other stompbox for now, my spector bass has too much output and any overdrive pedal turns into fuzz with that bass. I never had luck with sansamps, already owned one and did not get a sound I liked.

- I am also thinking about replacing the tone pump preamp in my spector with passive electronics, but that's another story -

so I though taht selling the gk and getting a warmer sounding cab would be a clever idea.

am I wrong?

oh, I use to keep the boost knob pretty high, but I don't like what comes out of the cab with boost past 12 o'clock, I am a bit worried about my speakers.

17. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    The only solution is to get rid of the cab and get something else. Sell the 810 (which you're not gigging???), sell the 410, and buy a single Avatar or G-K 212. Replace the head with something else, and the 410 will still sound like a$$. The head is not the problem.

Unless you sell the head and the 410, and buy a used 700RB-II plus an Avatar or G-K 212.

You might try a passive bass through your existing rig first though and see if the problem goes away. You may be on to something with taking the preamp out of your bass and going passive, but experiment before you commit.

18. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Try an EBS Multi-comp in tube sim mode. It should warm up the tone a bit. Plus it has a gain control, and that may help to tame your pre a bit.

I use it with my 700rbII, and I'm seriously pleased.

Ljazz