1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I sell my Mastotron? =/ need advice, what do you guys use it for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nic., Oct 22, 2010.

1. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Okay so this is the deal- my pedalboard has a dirt chain that goes Mastotron -> Box Of Metal -> Distortron (with various stuff before/after it)

So far, every sound that I get out of the Mastotron, I've been able to get out of the Box Of Metal as well, whether it be on guitar or bass. Admittedly it's not exactly the same, but close enough. The only thing that I've found that the Mastotron alone does that the Box Of Metal can't is a very heavily gated chainsaw-y fuzz, which I don't like/don't use anyway and I can get that by chaining my Box Of Metal with other gain stages.

Am I using my Mastotron wrongly? I don't want to sell it and later regret selling it, but so far I haven't found any reason to use it- whatever I've been using it for, the Box Of Metal can do too, and has a noise gate to control feedback.

What do you guys use the Mastotron for? Anything I should try with it?

Edit- For reference, my effects chain is: Instrument -> Foxrox Octron -> Boss PS-5 -> Mastotron -> Box Of Metal -> Distortron -> Bass Crybaby -> Visualsound H2O chorus/delay -> DoD Ice Box chorus -> Electronix Submarine preamp -> Proel volume pedal -> Amp
    I use it for bass, electric guitar and electric violin.
    Is there anything in there that the Mastotron can mix well with? I don't think it really affects, but just throwing this out on a limb.

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I owned one and sold it shortly thereafter. I just don't like the gated fuzz sound. I'm more of a muff guy.

So I understand what you're feeling. If you're not liking it, go sell it!

3. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I loved the paint job and layout but it was too glichy as compared to my Blowtorch and not as radical and synthy as a blended Ruiner. The max bass position switch added too much low and the middle position not enough low end. Now that I have a Brown Dog it's Really unnecessary!

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    The big plus of the mastotron vs. BOM + distortron is that it has way more low end. I was GASing for a BOM for a while until I tried it on a big bass cab -- it completely robbed my low frequencies. On the other hand the mastotron doesn't seem to have enough mids to be audible in a mix (at least in super gated synth fuzz settings). No idea if the BOM has that issue.

If you can get everything you want out of other pedal combos at their typical settings, sell your mastotron. If you want to use your other dirt for different sounds, don't sell it.

As for fuzz interactions with other pedals, it seems you have most of it covered except for maybe sticking a reverb pedal before it a la Sunn 0))). Are there any awesome tones you get from turning on a combo of the mastotron and either or both of the other dirt boxes?

5. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    I'm glad to know it isn't just me....

Actually I'm having quite massive lows on the BOM too, for some reason. Maybe it's my EQing. Just last week I kicked in my BOM in a song during rehearsal and suddenly had too much lows that I had to cut back.

I'll try and compare on a big cab tomorrow and see how it turns out.

Actually that's what I was thinking, putting them to very different settings. But I don't seem to be having much use for that. Hmmm.

Haha I don't even have a reverb pedal. Maybe that's something to think about.

Actually why I first started thinking about it was because if I turn on both my Distortron and my BOM, then turn on the Mastotron, I hear almost no difference to the sound. If the Distortron is off, I hear a bit more difference but still not very noticeable. That's when I really started comparing the two pedals and realized they cover nearly the same ground for me.

6. You could use it for some synthy goodness. Throw an octave in front of the mastotron and play high on the neck. The mastotron is known to be the poor mans woolly mammoth and yes I did not read any of the posts so if this has already been covered disregard my post.

7. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    It's interesting that people are having balance problems with the Mastotron. I'm running active pickups, though, and I have spent a lot of time experimenting with the interaction between my instrument's volume/tone/p'up selector and the various and equally interactive controls on the Mastotron.

I just started using its synthy goodness in earnest, as the main oscillator in my modular synth made completely of standard effect pedals. I'm having good non-glitchy results... and who wants glitch when one is playing a square-wave synth line?