1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I sell my Mesa head or my combo to get Orange?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kojak, Sep 5, 2008.

1. kojak

kojak

Jan 25, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones
    Hey guys!

I must just say that it is a pleasure hanging out here on TB. I dont post much, but I come by almost every day, and enjoy a lot of the informative and entertaining discussions. Unlike normal forums, like for computer stuff or games, on TB everyone is friends and polite, that is great!

So to the subject:

I have a Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000, an EBS Drome combo (early 12"), an Ampeg 8x10 Classic cab and a Bag End 15" coax cab (S15X-D).

So, I am really happy with my Mesa, it sounds great, and is really loud (i play metal..). I am also happy with my EBS, it has been with me for ever, like 10 years, tons of gigs and its small enough for my living room.

But here is the problem: At MusikMesse in Frankfurt this year i was stupid enough to try out a Orange bass head. idiot. I cant get that sound out of my system. I realize in all my love for my Mesa and EBS, I have missed that all-tube dynamic and feel. I have never felt such response to what I played.

Soo, I start thinking. If i sell my Mesa head, I just replace it with the Orange for large gigs, paired with the Ampeg, and I have the option of using it with my Bag End cab, which is alot smaller. But if I sell my EBS, I can use the Orange OR the Mesa for heavy duty Ampeg work, and i still have my EBS for living room and small gigs.

It is actually ridiclus to sell the EBS, if I think closer. Over the years, I have used that 40 times more often than the Mesa. But I really love my Mesa too, and the biiig question for all you great people out there is: Concidering the differences between Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000 and the Orange, will I miss my Mesa if I replace it? And I am not using any fancy features on the mesa, like effects loop or stuff.

Only sound matters, i know the Orange does the dirty, raw sound, warm and subtle too. But can it do powerful deep clean sound too?

And most important of all: Is the Orange powerful enough to run the Ampeg 8x10?

Thanks alot friends.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Nobody can decide for you, but since you're soliciting opinions, mine is that the Orange puts out the most satisfying tone I've heard, especially the kind with just a little peach fuzz on it. I had one, sold it like an idiot, and just picked up another one used in the TB classifieds. Can't say what it does through a fridge, but it sounds amazing through Schroeder
    12s or 15s or an Orange 115. As far as features, if you need the FX loop/tuner out or a powerful eq, another 250. buys a Radial Bassbone and you've got it all. The price is high, but the tone is all there in spades, each and every time you power up. I love my other heads, but if I had to pick one for sound quality alone, it'd be the AD200 hands down.

3. kojak

kojak

Jan 25, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    thanks for your opinion.

Terrible choice to maybe get rid of an old friend, but my gut tells me it is worth it. I have a pedalboard set up with different stuff, so i wont need more eq onboard the amp I think.

But do you think the Orange has the power to run 8x10 CL?

o

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

my opinion - your amp is not an old friend, it's a tool.
    it may be a trusty tool but if it doesnt float your boat anymore or you found something you like better there is no reason to keep it.

if you still find it hard deciding which amp to sell just get the Orange and set a deadline (say - 4 months from date of purchase) to decide and put to sale one of the old amps.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I think it would, but have no personal experience. Through a Schro 1212L it is more than loud enough for medium venues even without PA support, but the Schro is a very efficient cab.

6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    How much is an Orange out of curiosity? I assume you mean this:

[​IMG]AD-200B / Mk3

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know about any of this. My initial thought is, it's just GAS, let it pass. I don't think I'd get rid of either amp you own right now.

8. i think it will run your 810 with out any issues

9. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

It sounds like, to me, that you have a goal. Set your sights on that goal and make it happen without sacrificing what you already have.

Personally I would look at the Orange as the final solution to the puzzle of what works where/when and in what situation.

The EBS Drome is your go to rig for most of your gigs.
    The Mesa Basis 200 + Bag End is a suitable alternative to the go to rig.
    The Mesa + Ampeg rig is your go to big gig rig.

So far they all work for you and your gig situations.

Save up, get the Orange when you can and then you will have all the pieces for any puzzle/gig that presents itself to you.

A pocket full of shouda', Coulda', Woulda' makes for a house full of remorse.

The Orange as an addition covers all of the bases plus.

IMHO.

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR

10. kojak

kojak

Jan 25, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    thanks guys!

darn MrBear, you put it exactly the way I have imagined it inside my head. I need to save up money to have both mesa and orange, that is true!

The mesa certanly serves its purpose for a lot of what I do, and the direct out straight into my computer also sounds WONDERFUL.

Thanks for your inputs guys, I wont sell, and yes air_leech its not a friend, thanks for reminding me:)

I have a hard time selling stuff, never sell my basses, and I am very happy with that looking back. hopefully I will be happy that i didnt sell the mesa too in the future!

o