Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i sell my svt cl and get an abm500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Jan 23, 2006.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    ampeg or ashdown, i've always heard things along the lines of "what ampeg tries to do but better" in regards to ashdowns. the weight would be nice and my ampeg has gone down for the second time in three years. about to start touring, need something reliable. thoughts?

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    My svt-cl has died twice in two years with output stage problems. I'm trying some KT88s this time to see if they are more robust. I also fitted a couple of pc fans in the rear to keep the temperature down. The thing is, I don't think you will replace the tone or the feel of an all tube amp with a solid state or hybrid amp. So I guess you either carry a backup or make the switch and get used to it. Of course there's no guarantee that the ashdown (or whatever) will be 100% reliable either so carrying a backup has it's advantages. Might be worth seeing what's available second hand for a good price if you went this way?

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Keep the Ampeg.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ditch the CL, and get a real SVT.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    If it's reliability you want, with as close as possible to an SVT sound without the hassle.... try a Tech21 Landmark 600 Head :bassist: