Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I sell my TWO basses to get a Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdsg, May 6, 2004.

1. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Hi all,

I have a dilemma and would appreciate some advice from people who 'know' about Sadowsky basses.

This http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....6&category=4713&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1 is advertised on ebay and if I sold both my two existing basses I could just about afford it I think.

I have a Warwick Fortress Masterman 1996 which I dont play much nowadays and a 2003 MIA Fender Jazz Bass which I really like.

I kinda figured that the Sadowsky would be a nicer version of the Fender?

Any opinions guys? Will probably be sold before I make a decision. Also what do you think of the price? Bear in mind we pay more here in the uk - £799 for a MIA Fender Jazz as an example.

I have never played a Sadowsky just read some great things about them.

Thanks for any replies in advance

Steve

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would recommend not selling your two basses and saving up for the Sadowsky. GAS can lead to a vicious circle where you're always looking for "the" bass. I'm sure that a Sadowsky will be great, but it won't walk on water either. If you like your Fender, keep it, anybody who has played for any length of time can tell you about the bass they sold or traded that they found couldn't be replaced. Furthermore, if at all possible, find a Sadowsky you can play just to see if you really would like it.

3. Another thing you can do is to buy the outboard stomp box for a few hundred bucks to make your own comparison.

4. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks for the replies guys!!

I know what you mean about searching for 'the one'. The other thing I am considering is keeping the Fender but selling the Warwick which would cover about half the cost - I have the extra money but just wondered if the Sadowsky justified the price tag, is it worth 2 warwicks or 2 fender mia's?

Lastly I havent got a clue as to what the outboard stomp box is :) - sorry for being dumb!!

Steve

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a Sadowsky fan their the only solid body bass i would consider buying now, go for it their great basses you wont be disappointed.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    IMO no.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I dream of a Sadowsky, and I'll have one, one day.

Something like that :

[​IMG]

or like that :

[​IMG]

But I would not let go a bass I love.
    I made this mistake too many times so far...

Cheers,
    JL

8. MAJOR METAL

Check out their metro line www.sadowsky.com that might work out better for what you want to spend.

9. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Jean, I agree - I love my Fender but I have grown out of love with my Warwick in all honesty.

Major M, The Metros look great but I gues that the $2000 us price tag would be £2000 uk pounds which is a lot more than the £1395 for the 2nd hand model.

I am seriously thinking of buying it and then selling the Warwick to get half the money back (or thereabouts)

Cheers for all the help

Steve

10. MAJOR METAL

Either way sadowsky basses are great. I think that bass on ebay is being sold my a talk basser .

11. I personnally will not sell any of my basses, but for one that you have never physically seen or even played, dont be foolish! What would you want for your warwick?

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Based on what you said before, yes I'd eventually sell the Warwick, but I would keep the J. And yes, try to find the money to get the Sadowsky.

13. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    according to my calculations, $2000 would only be about 1150 pounds.

14. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    FenderBassabuse, I agree that it seems foolish to buy a bass like that without seeing or even playing but I have read such great things about Sadowskys that I thought it MAY be worth a go. My way of thinking was that I could always sell it on if I didnt like it.

For the Warwick I would hope to get around £700 uk pounds its a 1996 model which apparently are some of the best in terms of quality and its in great condition apart from 2 or 3 'tiny' dinks which are barely noticeable.

I have eMailed the seller with some questions and will wait to see if he replies and what his answers are before making a commitment anyway.

Thanks

Steve

15. MAJOR METAL

Tell him you are a talk basser

16. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    If I were you, I would sell maybe one of the basses and then set aside a "Sadowsky Fund" to save up for one. You might find yourself pining for one of those sold basses later. I have been through that too many times and I only sell an instrument if I am dead sure of my decision.

Other than personal setup preferences, I have never played a bad Sadowsky. They are extremely well made, sound great and from what my ears tell me, record very well.

17. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Sheepdog, from what I have seen we usually pay approx the same in pounds as you do dollars here in the UK I think. Its because of import duty etc etc :meh:

For instance my MIA Fender Jazz cost me £720 - I guess it would be about $700???

Therefore I reckon the Metro would be about £2000. I guess I could take a trip stateside and buy one there ;)

Also, I was kinda kidding myself that the Sadowsky may be a decent investment for the future and should hold its value well?

Steve

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent points. I think it's a VERY bad idea to ditch a bass (or TWO basses!) you like for a bass you haven't even played. I strongly encourage you NOT to do this! Please wait until you get to the point where you can afford to have the new bass and your old basses at the same time. Then you can take your time making the decision which one(s) you prefer.

But even if you've played that Sadowsky and fell in love, I think it's a bad idea in general to put all of your eggs in one basket. Lots of reasons, including:
    1) It's nice to have variety
    2) It's nice to have a backup
    3) It's nice to have a beater bass that you don't mind letting others use at jams or open mic nights or whatever.

19. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Fuzzbass I hear what you are saying. What I need to do is go buy a beater bass to cure my GAS, keep both basses and save some money ;)

I hadnt thought about letting other people near it. I would feel pretty reluctant to let my Fender or Warwick slip into the wrong hands!

Strange thing is ( and I guess other married guys can appreciate this) that if I have ONE $5000 bass then to my wife thats cool as I have just one bass BUT should I dare to have THREE $1000 basses thats a major crime :confused:

Part of the reason for selling was to keep her indoors happy :)

Thanks

Steve

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ditch the Warwick and keep the Fender. You like the Fender, you don't play the Warwick. My taste is similar, so I don't blame you.

Take the money from the Warwick and buy a used axe of similar value.