Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I sell my WT-300 to buy a new Trace 300-watt head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 6, 2002.

1. For the first time, I was able to plug my FBB into a friend's Trace AH150SM (7-band) + 1153 rig.

The cabinet didn't do much for me--I know what 15s sound like and I don't like 'em--but that head is killer! Just setting everything flat, with the mid-shift and graphic EQ deactivated, producgeted a snarl that my WT-300 just can't reproduce. I didn't even begin to tinker with the compressor and graphic EQ. The tone balance knob is pretty useful, too.

Anyhow, Musicians' Friend is blowing out their Trace stock right now in anticipation of Gibson starting Trace production in Nashville. I can get an AH300-12 that would definitely fill my needs for only $699 plus shipping, but I'd have to sell my WT-300. While I'd miss the Traveler's portability and versatility--the EQ is ridiculously powerful--the built-in non-bypassable compressor is a real tone killer when dealing with a big B.

Should I do it? I'd have to get a temporary advance from my folks, but I could definitely get $500 for my WT-300 (it's been taken care of very well) and cover the balance with my next paycheck.

2. Well, I've never played an Eden, so cant compare them, but I use an older 250watt 12 band Trace, and the tone is so good that I leave the eq flat, no preset contour, and no compression. It pumps a B string along no problem.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    before you do it: wait what Munji has to say :D

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Peter, you have a true gear dilemma!
    The WT-300/400, besides the great Eden tone& quality is best for its portability.

You would lose that with the Trace, but that is a good buy on I agree a great sounding head-
    So simply put, as in many things (unfortunately)
    the only answer is 'mo money!!
    Any way to do both? Probably not!
    I always look at my checking acct. balance & even consider stealing from my wife as new/better alternate gear comes out-
    Have you seen the new Ampeg Portabass?
    Plus I need to get a Bergantino cab & I want an Accugroove- See you asked for help- you now got MY problems! Sorry- ummmm, maybe flip a coin??:D

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    First, I would see if you can play your friends TE head through your speaker cab(s). Then, if your sure you like the TE better than your Eden, go for the TE.
    That Musician's Friend deal won't be around forever.
    (FWIW, I've always liked the TE sound, but never the TE price).

6. An excellent idea--I came up with it this morning when I was working the ResNet Q&A table at Cornell's housing fair :rolleyes:

TE stuff is reasonably common on the used market, thankfully, but it'd be nice to score a head new.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Guess it is a question of shipment costs. On this side of the Atlantic Ocean, TE are among the most affordable professional amps, compared to challengers.

All the best,

8. Smokin'. My friend's AH-150SM was just as loud as my WT-300, with half the rated wattage. It had a snarlier tone and much, much more tonal versatility. (The WT-300's EQ gets unmusical in a big hurry.)

That said, I think the WT-300 would be great for someone who plays classic rock, fusion, R&B, etc., and with an aggressive-sounding bass could do it all. However, with my FBB and my GS-410, the TE sound is where it's at.

I'm gonna make the sale.

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yes, import charges have always made me look towards domestic gear...

10. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Peter,

I have the WT300 but these days I mostly play through the AH300-12 head and 1x15 plus 2x10 cabs. I know some people do not like the TE sound, but I really dig it. With the graphic button activated and sliders fairly flat, I get powerful modern mid-range tones that cut through anything. Boost the valve drive a little and you hear a nice overdriven growl. With just a touch of the Pre-shape button, I get the warm, thick, classic TE tone of the 60's and 70's.

I'm sure you'll like it. Have fun.

11. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    So if I paid 300 bucks I can get a 150 watt head that sounds like 300 watts?

12. Pretty much. I'd like to give my Aggy more power to get even cleaner low end, though.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, you should try feeding the WT-300 some serious power. I did (my Carvin DCM1000) and it made the thing a WHOLE new beast. It was good before, but with the extra power, you can tweak it into an insanely modern sound. I use it flat, but I've experimented with the EQ, and I gotta say, If I was you, I'd seriously consider upping the power on the WT-300 first. Course, that might be hard to get your hands on a friends power amp to try it...

But hey, whatever floggs yout dolphin. :D

14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have a suggestion. Before you make up your mind, try to borrow a SansAmpBass Driver DI. Put this IN FRONT of your Eden. I'll bet you my shoes you will be surprised and 1, you can keep the Eden (for reasons stated) and 2, the BDDI can be used for a number of situations that will increase your versatility.
    The BDDI can make any dry rig sound really agressive.
    Let me know, OK?

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seems like you've found your tone, pete,

congrats!!! that's always the coolest thing to hear about on this board.

16. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have TE combo and all valve head [V6] but I finally sold them for an Eden WT 400 which I like so much. Lately I have been happy with my Demeter VTBP 201 s and Aguilar DB 680 feed into QSC Plx 3402 [use half each] feed into Wayne Jones Cabinet. :D
    Don't want anything else MMmm perhaps Glockenklang.
    All my other rig SWR, AMPEG, EDEN , Acoustic went into godown for the time being..

17. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    By the way before I forgot , I had tried the Demeter and the Aggie fed into Eden WT 400 [effect send to return] and use ACME cab , and sound very fantastic too... alot of tonal variation and possibility until I confused my self :p

I think you better keep the Eden and get another preamp to use with Eden and you'll have tons of tonal verity.

18. You've got to stick with what suits you... end of story.

But... FWIW... if you do switch to Trace I'd like to be one of the first to say welcome to the club... you'll get alot of crap about how "the only reason you bought that Trace was because it glows in the dark" and if it isn't pre-Gibson it's junk. That's all just huey! Some of the best sounding Traces are the all-valve ones, and they're butt ugly in a retro kind of way... no black light there... and Gibson hasn't tampered with the design yet... we'll see about the "made in america" ones... but that's another story.

Anyway, let us know if you get it... and then post a review after the new gear fog has lifted from your eyes... we'd like to know what you think down the road.

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Being a huge fan of Trace stuff - I'm on my second Trace rig - I have to say go with what sounds good to you. I have found the stuff good looking, good sounding and very reliable. I know that not everyone likes the sound - but each to his own, I love 'em.

BTW - when you used his head what were you running the head into. You mention that his 1 x 15 didn't do much for you - but did it pontribute to the sound??? I'm just wondering what else you've tried it throiugh to make sure that you're not gonna be disappointed with the head on it's own (in case you find out that 50% of tone was head and 50% was cab and oooops, to get the sound I want I need a new cab as well)

Anyway - if you do get it, welcome to the Trace Club. I doubt if you'll be disappointed!

20. I A/Bed the AH150-SM and my WT-300 through my Aguilar GS-410. The Trace's tone was monstrous. I felt as though my skull were being loosed from my spinal column. The Eden's low-mid-heavy sound works great with Fender-style basses, but on my FBB, it's just too fat.