1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I sell or keep?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neal Brakey, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Neal Brakey

Neal Brakey Warwick Vs Spector Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Midlothian, Texas
    I recently put up my carvin bass that was traded to me, the guy did not know anything about the bass, what wood, what style, nothing at all.
    I am wondering if it would be worth it to sell it or if I should just end up keeping it?
    I have it listed for 500 bucks right now because I have no idea what carvin it is or anything.
    Please help me decide.

Attached Files:

saabfender likes this.
  2. Looks like a nice bass, I would say keep it unless you don't like it or need the money.
    If you are not going to use it, let it go, instruments are meant to be played IMO

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    It looks like an LB70, considered by many as one of their best models. Lots of love for it here on TB. Nice case, too! The Carvin Museum - 1998 LB20 & LB70 Bass Guitars
    Neck is maple with an ebony fingerboard. The body wood matches very well but the grain pattern and catalog leads me to think it's alder, but could be maple as well. Hipshot bridge indicates that it was made 1998 or later.
    None of this matters if you don't like it.

What was it about this bass that attracted you in the first place, enough to make you trade your other bass for?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Ryan6491, funkinbottom and baTassi like this.
  4. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Do you play it?
    > If yes - keep it
    > If no - sell it
    Does it have any sentimental value to you?
    > If yes - keep it
    > If no - sell it

Carry on.:)

5. Neal Brakey

Sep 22, 2018
    Midlothian, Texas
    Mainly that I did not like the pickup placement on my stingray.
    I never traded a bass before, and decided to have it up on craigslist.
    I never heard of this place at the time, and honestly it looked really nice. It still looks nice, I am simply wondering what it has.
    I assumed maple neck and alder body with a ebony fretboard. it is starting to grow on me the more I play it and that makes me conflicted about selling it.
    wish I knew what preamp and pickups it has in it.
    or even what the knobs do, I know nothing on this thing the guy just traded and ran.
    told me he knew nothing on it and at the time I was kinda whatever to the situation

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Carvin LB-20 1.JPG Yeah, most likely a Carvin LB-70. I have an '06 LB-20, and yes; they are really nice basses. The only real difference between a -20 and a -70, AFAIK, was passive vs. active. Carvins (now called Keisel Guitar Co.) are pretty much custom built instruments; that, along with what a lot of people consider somewhat "sterile" sounding pick ups (an opinion I don't share), makes their resale value much lower than it should be. I bought mine off of eBay in 2010 - unplayed, in the original case, along with the build sheet, for about $380 - including shipping. It cost the original owner just under $1500 to build. I was the only bidder, too... I'd like to help you with what knobs do what, but my LB-20's passive. Yours is active, and active bass controls? They can vary wildly from one brand to another; and when you throw "custom" into the mix? I don't want to go there... You might want to go to the Carvin Owners Club here; post a picture, and ask about the controls. Very nice people there, and I'm sure they can help you out. For what it's worth; it's a very nice, very well built bass. I'd keep it, myself...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. Neal Brakey

Sep 22, 2018
    Midlothian, Texas
    I do appreciate it, and for what it is worth the price tag I saw on the pic of it before I traded was 2200 which by the looks of it I would not doubt.
    I swear though the more and more I hear about this bass the more I would feel like a fool if I sold it.
    At this point I can't see a way I would sell it as if it is going to go for such a low price, I will enjoy it.

Misfit Wookiee, JeffC23 and JZQuantum like this.
  8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    In the link I sent you, it states that the pickups are H5DN humbuckers in a J shell. Active electronics controls are master volume, pickup pan, bass/mid/treble cut/boost EQ.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Just forget about other basses and concentrate on your playing for now.

You have no idea how many of us would've loved to be able to start on a high quality instrument like that Carvin back in the days, but didn't have the means to do so.

10. the federalist

the federalist I think about basses a lot. Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Forgive me, but didn't you already cover this topic in your 'Bass brands with bad resell value' post, which is still active and at the moment has 119 replies?

mdogs, db59, fermata and 4 others like this.
  11. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Keep it... that bass is good enough for you to join a band, cut records, play gigs and tour the world. You will never need anything better!

fretter, dBChad and Neal Brakey like this.
  12. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you contacted Carvin/Kiesel with the serial and asked for build specs? Maybe they will answer you and then you can compare it to what other basses of the same model have sold for recently.

13. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's a nice bass, to be sure, but the way you talk about it, it doesn't seem to mean much to you. Sounds like a chance to pick up a couple hundred bucks or so. Next. (You know: bass)

14. I think you’d be hard pressed to replace it with an American made neck through for that money so it makes sense to keep it unless you are unhappy with the sound or ergonomics.

15. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Sounds to me like you already decided

16. Neal Brakey

Sep 22, 2018
    Midlothian, Texas
    Well, I decided to sell my other ones till you guys knocked some sense into me and I kept my 1998 FNA instead of selling it.
    Who knows, I just wanna know more about it and see if it's good stuff or if I got scammed.

17. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    You can always take the hardware off and clean fish on it. It will always be worth something.

18. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Unless you play it regularly, there is no point keeping it. It’s ... well... a Carvin.

Rumbledore likes this.
  19. Neal Brakey

Sep 22, 2018
    Midlothian, Texas
    Yes, but I felt I was getting everyone off topic bringing it into that post, so I made a new one to get a more direct answer on only this bass

20. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Mmmm.... you ask
    Should I sell or keep?

From the sentence,look like you wanna sell priority and keep are second option.

Rumbledore and Mili like this.