1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I sell or should I keep...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GroovyBaby, Dec 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sell

34 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. Keep

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I've been on the fence about selling my Carvin B50A for a while. I purchased it as a kit, finished it, and played it for a few years. I'm now playing mostly 4 string on a G&L L100 and M2000. Since the Carvin was sitting neglected, I finally listed it locally. Listing it wasn't that hard but I could feel the reservations tingling. Now, I have someone interested in looking at it this weekend and I'm still feeling reservations.

Why would I keep it? It is my only 5 string and I did build it. The bass plays really nice but I'm not crazy about the sound. I think I just like the fatness of humbuckers better. I've thought of dropping in a set of Dimarzio Area Js with a new preamp but then I'm dumping $300 into a bass that I just don't play much. I could look for a used G&L 5 string. I love the G&L feel and sound but last time I played one of their 5 strings the neck felt HUGE. The Carvin neck doesn't feel so bulky, nice and slim feeling. The Carvin also comes in at 8lbs even which is damn good for a 5 string. Weight matters to me as I won't buy a bass over 8.5 (neck/shoulder issues).

Should I sell or should I keep? What would you do?

Obligatory photos below.

Attached Files:

2. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I'd sell it, then.

osonu likes this.
  3. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Not the most exciting thread I know. But I would appreciate thoughts. If I had called the thread "Should I buy or should I not?" it would have gotten more attention!

porterbass and Wisebass like this.
  4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Sell! Get a bass that you want to play everyday :thumbsup:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

FingerDub, Skeptismo and drdunwoody like this.
  5. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Yes.

6. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Sell the Carvin. I can't remember who, but someone here once said life was too short to play basses you only kind of like.

Wfrance3, Wisebass and drdunwoody like this.
  7. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    That's good advice. I REALLY like the Carvin, but I don't love it. But if I changed the pickups would I love it? No way to know without doing it.

8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If you change the pickups you might love it for a little while. But it won’t change the way it feels when you play it, and in my book that is a big part of the equation.

drdunwoody likes this.
  9. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    The feel of the G&L necks are softer, I think the greater role around the edges does it. I also get more fret clank on the Carvin. Action is similar on both. Could that be the single coils picking up more clank?

10. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I'd say it depends on how much money you can get out of it. If it's not enough to make any difference in your life, keep it. I play only fivers, but I keep my four-string P just to have a four-string in the music room when someone wants to mess with it (there's also a bit of sentimental value).

All are hanging on the walls. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    How much are you going to get for it- enough to do anything?

Marko 1 likes this.
  12. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Lots of positives there... consider that there are less-expensive pickups that could make a world of difference.

drdunwoody likes this.
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Don't get in the habit of flipping just to flip. Unless you bought used at a good price, you lose money every time. I have three basses - one I've had for about 32 years (used, restored it last winter) one about 14, and one I built two years ago.

drdunwoody likes this.
  14. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    There are lots of positives. At 8 lbs with a nice neck, it plays nice and hits a lot of my check boxes. It seems like it checks more boxes than passions. But then again, maybe pickups would help with that. I’ve got it listed for $475 with a hard shell case. The kit parts were about $800 but resale on the kits is low. I knew that when I bought it so $475 is a fair price. I played it tonight after setting it up. I kinda had to force myself to use the B string. I’m used to 4-bangers now and getting ready to install a drop D tuner on one of my G&Ls. I don’t need to sell it, but when I bought my M2000 I told myself I would. Hhmmmm....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Sell it

Wisebass likes this.
  16. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    It isn't like you are losing money by hanging on to it. It will be worth the same or more next year. I'd hang on to it until I needed the money or trade it for something I really wanted. When you sell just to sell, the bass will be gone and soon the money will be spent on something else and you will be left with nothing.

RobTheRiot and ajkula66 like this.
  17. Yeah, I'd say sell it as well. If all it's basically doing is collecting dust, and if you honestly aren't going to play it much, I'd say use whatever money you get for it and put that towards a bass that you'll make good use of.

18. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Any time you are on the fence about selling something, sell it.

19. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    This is why I'd sell it.

20. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Although I'm a huge Carvin fan, I voted sell it. If you're not going to play it....sell it and use the money on something else.