Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I sell the Grabber?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, Apr 30, 2003.

1. I'm trying to learn to play faster, in time and trying to learn theory...

I don't know. The G just seems a bit uncomfortable, as cool as it is. Maybe I just need some new strings to help the playability?

Anyway.. I really been diggin' Jaco latly, and it got me thinking baout selling off the G, and going for a MIJ RI Jazz, or a Jaco MIJ.. Some sort of jazz, anyway..

What do ya'll think? :confused:

2. I remember how excited you were when you got the Grabber, so don't be so quick to get rid of it.

Maybe you need to play with it a little more, try different strings, signal chain, etc. What is the playability issue? Is it setup related?

If you really are set on the Jaco tone, remember that much of his better known stuff was done with his fretless, and that jazzy mwah comes from his fingers as much as the fingerboard! So if you are ready for a fretless Jazz, that might be a start. I suspect it might not live up to your expectations.

Ideal answer - keep the Grabber for now, and try out some Jazzes in the shop, see how you like em. Maybe you could rent one for a month or so, see how you like it?

If money was no object, I'd say keep both if you want!:D

3. I agree with Big O. You really were excited about getting the Grabber and I don't think you should get rid of it so soon, it could be the kind of thing you regret.

Have you tried changing the string height/action? That really helps. I have a Squier Affinity P-bass, which certainly isn't going to win any awards for tone and playability, but it does it job pretty well, which is all I need it to do. A lot of the tone comes from the fingers and technique, so I'd work on that first before committing to a new bass.

Hope this helps.
    ;)

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Micro, only sell it to me if you do.

Trust me, you will NEVER find another Grabber again. They are to rare.

Keep it, change strings, do what you need to do... new bridge... whatever. Just do not sell it... unless you are going to sell it to me.

5. This is no excuse to get rid of a bass - keep the Grabber!

Sounds like you have spring G.A.S. fever. We all do. ;)

Mike

6. No no no, he should sell it to me and only me, I'm only just along the M8 from him. :p

Anyway, if you think that's bad, you should try an EB-3...... :rolleyes:

Whatever you do, don't sell your Grabber, keep it, even if it's just as an investment. Try new strings on it, and get it set-up well (probably a pro).

But whatever you do, you're not going to get "that Jaco sound" form it - it's just not that kind of beast.

Like Big O said, try a few Jazzes, see if you can borrow one, and keep your eyes on the second hand stores.... of all the basses out there, you're most likely to come across J's. And you will never come across a Grabber again.

:cool:

7. Oh, no don't sell. I have a G-3 and several times I have considered selling it, but I am happy to say it never happened. Besides what other bass could I keep in the bathroom and not feel guilty about it?
    Jazz basses are cheap and everyone needs 2 or more basses.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    if you sold it, in a year or two, someone will say they bought a grabber, and you'll be all "dammit, I had one of those once, wish I hadn't sold it". so, don't sell.

If you try hard enough, you won't get the jaco tone, but you'd get something almost similar to the if-Jaco-played-a-grabber tone....whatever that may be.

9. especially in the UK- I think I've only ever seen one in a shop.

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Keep the Grabber, and get yourself a jazz bass.

11. I used to have a G-3, sold it for almost nothing, and I've regretted it since. And that was 24 years ago.

Keep it . . . or sell it to me. :D

12. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    ive already seen two grabbers at shops for sale. theres still one sitting at a store here at that. but i wouldnt get rid of that bass, i like how they sound, and theyre an interesting instrument no less. i dont remember when you got it since im new, but if you were really excited about it, keep it, when youre 40 you'll look at it and it'll bring you a big ol smile. besides you'll probably go through tons on basses in your lifetime, mostly fender and fender clones, keep your nostalgia!

13. thanks for the thoughts. and you're right. I was excited about the bass.

I have her set up perfectly for me, maybe I could lower the action a bit due to my fingering right now.

I'mma try new stirngs. I've only been using them for nearly 2 months - and one (damn sweaty) gig with them.. Maybe they are done... *shrugs*

thanks all the same.

*places a penny in his bank to start saving for a J*

:D