1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I shave ...... ?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by mrcheney, Sep 22, 2008.

1. mrcheney

mrcheney

May 27, 2008
    My L2500 is a great bass, great tone, great tonal options ... but the only neck it comes with is the size of a medium sized pine tree.

I'm considering pulling and old school fix and shaving the neck a bit. Is there enough wood there to erase some of the bulk and finally make this thing playable?

- mike

2. That's not an uncommon attribute.

There is probably enough meat there to stand up to some careful reshaping.

Now, I'm not saying that I think you should do it, but I don't think I'd go at it with anything but a big drum sander and I'd give serious consideration to an inflatable lathe-mounted drum. But that's just me and you didn't read this - okay?

But if you really do have a wild hair to create sawdust from a bass neck, one VERY important consideration that you MUST allow for would be the resulting strength of the neck. There are no graphite strengthening bars in there - just a trussrod. If the bass is currently sensitive to weather changes, it will be more so after such an operation. If the neck isn't quartersawn, don't even consider this.

So, having typed all this, my recommendation is to try a new L-2500 as soon as one hits your local dealer. You might find the neck to be a bit slimmer. I'm not saying that it's really going to be like that, but you never know. OTOH, it's my understanding that at least one new (7/2008) L-2500 has a nice thin neck. But that's just my understanding and I'm really hoping that it isn't a fluke.

Ken...