should i shim.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by warwickben, Feb 18, 2003.

1. i decied to put my kahler trem on my fender bass and i have my string as low as i can get them but its not as low as i like. i heard of shimming the neck would that work or what. what should i do.
  2. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I do not have a Kahler, but I believe most basses that use the Kahler have the body specially routed for it, so it sits lower than just bolting it to the body surface. (There are several Warmoth bodies shown that are "routed for Kahler" on their site) If your body isn't routed for it (and you don't want to rout it), you may have quite a bit of neck shimming to do, and then you'll have to raise your pup height as well. I won't pretend to know the effect of raising your neck and it's effect on playability, though. Maybe some other experienced builders may have some alternatives for you.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I bought an Ibanez MC-924 w/ aftermarket Kahler and I have the same problem. And I can't shim because it's a neck-thru. I've often thought about setting the trem further into the body, let me know if you try it. Looking at the side of the trem, I don't think it's supposed to go too deep into the body because there are set screws on the side.
  4. i wouldnt have to shim that much. i just need it to be a little lowwer then it is.its all most were i like it.ill probly end up setting the trem in to the body,but till then can any one help with shimming.
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Do a search for shim. It's not a very difficult procedure. You take off the neck, put a business card or matchbook cover in the pocket close to the body, and put the neck back on. Then you string it up to see if your action is right. If it's still too high, you add another card or fold the first one. It can be time consuming to find the right card thickness for the right action. I think mine took four times.
  6. i thought u had to do all this work and i didnt. i cut a credit card in to 1/8's and i used one of the parts. worked like a charm shhh no one has to know.