should i spray pain my pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heckheckheck, Aug 3, 2002.

1. i wanted to spary paint my pickguard. i just wanted to know if it would **** anything up.
  2. stroggnoy

stroggnoy Guest

Jul 11, 2002
    You should spray paint it. Three or four coats should be good enough to hold.
  3. BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    WOW! spray pain? where can i get me some of that!

doesn't that take the sport out of it though?
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If you wanna do it, go for it.
  5. I'm spray painting the pickguard on my Turser Ray clone. It beats shelling out $30 for a new guard that probably won't fit anyway.
  6. Yay! Rattlecans!! Go for it! Just make sure you put some masking tape or something over the pick-ups first. The more I think about it, the more it seems like it doesn't matter if you do or not, but covering the pick-ups would be a good idea anyway.

And, of course, covering the body of the guitar or just taking the pick-guard off entirely before you paint it would be good, too. You know, unless you want your whole bass painted. 'Cuz it will be if you don't. Rattlecans aren't all that accurate, usually.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd sand it with some #40 grit sandpaper first, so the paint sticks.
  8. Good tip Munji! I hadn't thought of that.
  9. Did you know that the thing that rattles in a paint can is a childs tooth?
    Thats how the tooth fairy makes her money.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Gwar, the sanding idea is a good one, but the #40 is not. Maybe #400. I don't want you to screw it up on my account.
  11. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    I spray painted mine. I got tired of the flat back so my friend did it for me. We only did it one coat so far. But were gonna go back and put like 3 more on. Then 2 or 3 coats of a gloss. Oh yea, were using car model paint, not spray paint.
  12. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I was thinking about doing this, too, but I have a black bass with white pickguard. What would I paint it!?
  13. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Indeed. And every time you shake the can, a devil gets its horns.:p
  14. Yeah, maybe one swipe of the #40 would be suffifcient. I've got some really fine grit paper that I'd use. I was just saying that sanding the p/g in general was a good idea.

With #40 sand paper too much sanding and you wouldn't have much of a pickguard left to paint. :D
  15. red... it'd be cool looking against the black
  16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why not, I did. Neon green and then flat black.

Looks good.
  17. That's what I was going to suggest...
  18. Natural Savannah... sorry if you don't know what colour that is, I work in a DIY store and I mix paint... thought it looked nice :D
  19. Simple explanation:
    Decoupage is an old art form of taking paper prints and then gluing them to something and then varnishing it. By doing this you can achieve almost any look desired. You can make any item appear as if someone had "painted" on the image and you can also layer images to achieve a modest 3D effect.

So, as an example, if your hero was Flea and you wanted his mug on your pickguard then what you would do is cut out a glossy magazine picture of Flea in your favorite pose. Then you apply a sealer to the picture, so that the picture doesn't turn into soggy mush when gluing/varnishing, and then glue it to the pickguard.

Then you'll spend a day or so applying about 15 coats of varnish on the pickguard. After they are all dry, and allowing each coat to dry fully before applying the next coat, you now have to sand the varnished pickguard to get that glossy look.

*shrug* that seems to be pretty much it in a very simplistic way. It does look kinda interesting so I might actually try it out with my MIM Jazz pickguard. Not sure what I'll put on it. Perhaps Van Gogh's "Iris".

Detailed explanation:

Examples of Decoupage:

History of it (interesting reading):

This might be a good site for a How-To on Decoupage:

And another How-To on Decoupage:
  20. well if you dont want to paint it, go for tortise shell. a bit expensive but sure looks keen.

btw, anyone know where i could find a pickguard to fit an explorer bass? im gettin sick of white on black.