1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I stick with practicing on 1 bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Broke, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I have 3 basses but play my Squier 50's Classic Vibe most. It has a really thick neck. I also use my Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass a good bit which has a much different neck. Is going back and forth going to cause me issues with learning? I'm only at about 6 months into playing. But I can tell the difference when going back and forth. I'm still really learning the feel of the bass and where the notes are and strings. I can't play without looking at the neck at this point. Any advice?

2. I'm only about 3 months in playing myself, both of my basses are similar, 5 string, scale length, string spacing etc. I have entertained the thought of getting a 4 banger but I have gotten so used to a 5er that I am scared that a 4 string will goof me up. I play mine on a rotation so they get about equal play time, although I do prefer one over the other. I think your question can only be answered by you, if you have difficulty transitioning one to the other you may be better off sticking to one and coming back to the other at a later time.

3. Question is why do you have three basses with just six months in?

My recommendation is to pick one and stick with that one for the time being.

T-Funk, Pelao, lz4005 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I think it's good to play on different basses. I also think people make too big a deal out of the differences in neck profiles. I play on about 12 different basses and all of them have different necks. Makes my life a lot easier when it comes to buying new basses... And if you have 3 on this short a period of time, me thinks you'll benefit most in the future if you don't get too comfortable with any one particular profile .).

5. Ditto!

Play them all, unless you're having trouble adjusting.
    If you can play a wider range of different basses, you'll be better off later, IMHO.

zontar, Johnny Crab and ThudThudThud like this.
  6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Practice on all of them.
    When you start gigging you'll be thankful that you rotated your basses for practice if you ever need to change to your spare mid-gig/song. If you get too used to one neck profile, you may have trouble adjusting.

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I'd agree with using all your basses if they feel comfortable.

8. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Get experience playing on as many different instruments as possible. An expert will know how a certain bass will feel and be able to adjust quickly. This will help in being able to get just the sound you want, once you start playing out.

LowNloud1 likes this.
  9. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I've played 3 gigs so far and as it happens I had one crap out on me during sound check. Thankfully I had brought 2 that night and it taught me to always bring 2.

ThudThudThud likes this.
  10. I have 3 basses & all are tuned differently, E, Eb, & C#.

11. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Practice on the bass you intend to perform the song with.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  12. As you can see he joined TalkBass on Sept 9/2015.....that's why he's got 3 basses already.

Jhengsman likes this.
  13. pravus

pravus

Feb 5, 2013
    Broomfield, CO
    The more you play a particular bass or particular shape the more familiar you will become with it. If I had to do it over again I would stick to one instrument that felt comfortable to handle until I had complaints about it. Playing on other instruments every once in a while is a good way to reassess your feel, but until you can really articulate what attributes you are looking for it's kind of a random shot. Playing on one bass will allow you to get a real feel for it and then when you play another one, the comparison will be more meaningful. This is precisely why I'm moving from many instruments to basically a single profile. While I can play on a variety of neck/body shapes, there are some that are just better for me than others and I now have a mental framework that points me in the right direction.

14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Use 'em all, the "fatter" necks will just make your hands stronger.
    One trick I've learned that helps is to install the straplocs(or buttons) as close to the same on each bass so when you play standing up, your reach on the neck is the same. Here it is a StrapLoc pin located behind the 17th fret on the heel of the neck if at all possible. Helps if you play a lot without looking at the neck.
    Examples from a studio pic. Peavey T-40(left) and Fame/Hondo with factory Kahler right, note the arrows pointing to StrapLoc locations so the reach is almost identical for both basses.
    StrapLocLocation.

After a while(months/years?), going from regular or long scale to short only takes a song or 2 to get used to.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  15. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I've never had any problem with it--either on bass or guitar (Granted the difference are smaller on guitars)
    A worst it takes a bar or two-usually not that much.
    And that's going between a fretted short scale & a fretless long scale.

I know some people that don't even realize the differences & just play and others that stick with one type--his is a good way to see where you fit in.

16. I have found that If I am working on my technique then consistency is key, so having a main is important for me. I typically have 1 or 2 back ups because you never know but I typically only play them to check on them and make sure they function properly.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  17. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    It's all about making friends with yer gear. The more different stuff you use the better you become at making friends with whatever you have.

Geri O and JCooper like this.
  18. Most people will get further faster by focusing on one bass when developing technique. If there's no hurry, playing a few matters little.

You can swap basses later, which I encourage to make you more a more rounded player.

It took me a while to adjust to fret less, after that 5-string & short scale seemed a breeze.

lfmn16 likes this.
  19. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Bah, why the **** own a bass you don't play?

Dude you've answered your own question here and are doing the right thing letting the bass inform you. You need us interweb dweebs less than you might think....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  20. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I sold one yesterday. Down to 2.