Should I stop moaning

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 24, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    All this talk of lightweight rigs has got me thinking and GAS'ing for other rigs.

I'm currently playing through an ABM c110 EVOII Combo with is a 325 watt 1x10 combo, I then place a Ashdown mini 4x8 underneath that.

Now the combo weights between 55-60lb's and the mini 4x8 is 60lb's

I have more than enough volume when I'm gigging I have the input and output volume on about quarter so I don't need any more power. I love the tone I get its punch and focused with plenty of bass, but not boomy which is great, it's perfect I can always hear my self and so can the band. When we practice all I take is the combo section and the tone is just as good got loads of headroom and so on.

But I feel that the whole rig is a little weighty, now I know its not really really heavy and the combo is a good to average weight for a hybrid head and such. But i keep gassing for things like the Thunderfunk, Iamp800 and AI Focus. I don't know why I think really only the thunderfunk would get me close to my current sound as I run overdrive all the time and have the tube on about 60% on my amp so I like that old school tone which isn't really what the Iamp and Focus are best at (not saying they can't but just saying its not the ideal situation for them).

Now am I just moaning or is my rig abit on the heavy side, I can fit both the cab and the combo in the boot (trunk) or a car with my pedalboard and even 2 basses, so they aren't big.

Options I was concidering was use the 4x8 and get the abm 500 rackmount head in a rack bag so i'd have as much power into 8ohms as I do when I run all my rig so I wouldn't need to take as much.

Or should I be looking at a new cab and head something like the focus and a 2x12 or 3x10 with neo's.

What do you guys think am I just being silly?

2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just to clarify.. The Thunderfunk doesn't do distortion, an any way shape or form.

Easy solutions, do you have castors? If not, put them on. You could maybe try just an Ashdown head with the 4x8 and see if you like that? You might not miss the 1x10 that much. And then you'd still have your ashdown tone, and only one cab to push around.. EDIT: missed that in your post, sounds like a good idea.

If you don't want to spend moolah etc (I think you have a perfectly fine rig though). I would suggest staying Ashdown as the amp, as you allready like the tone from it, and you like it's slight o/d.
    And if you really want smaller than the 4x8, i'd probably suggest Bergantino. Many people use Bergies and Ashdown together and love it, heck, even Jim recomends Ashdown right up for his cabs.
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah sorry I know this I use various od pedals to simulate tube grit.

Casters wouldn't be much use as most of the places I have to play I have to carry this up some stairs.

So do you think it is justafiable to buy another head as I'd still use my combo for small gigs and practices. As I know I'd end up buying another cab again at some point just to get the full 500watts out of it and end up with the same 2 cab problem.

Gahhhhh GAS
  4. I would just say: SHUT THE **** UP ;)

You've got the tone that you want.

That's the most important thing, right? If it is a bit heavey; so what? You will get muscles out of that if you carry it enough times.

You're just being silly :D You've got your tone.. so why change things?
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lightweight rigs can be quite amazing, but really, heavy ain't all that bad. Sure, all things being equal, if you could get everything that you love about your "heavy" rig in a lighter rig (and maybe you can), then go for it. But, it may be that you might not be able to reproduce all that you love about your current rig in a lighter package. There are trade-offs to be made.

I'd say feel free to experiment with some lighter setups. If weight is an issue for you personally, then by all means you should do what you can to keep youself healthy. You only have one back, you know! But, my own thoughts are that if you like your current rig, and the weight isn't really a problem, then I wouldn't GAS about something just because it's lighter. If you think it sounds better, or if it does something that your current rig doesn't do, or if it would be more healthy for you and your back, then by all means go for it. But if not, enjoy your current rig (or heck, by something heavier! :p).

6. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I'm kinda contemplating a cxl1x12 that I can pickup cheap over here, but not sure as I don't have a lightweight head and there isn't a massive weight difference between the cxl and my 4x8.

Oh I don't know, damn GAS