Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i straighten my own neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steve-gan, Jan 26, 2003.

1. steve-gan

steve-gan

Aug 6, 2002
    If patience and common sense are applied, is straightening one's own neck reccomended? Or is this best left to an expert? My fender jazz has a bow. Respond only if you have expierience with this. steve

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i had the same problem,when i first starting playing bass about 9 months ago,i bought a used fender j/bass off of e-bay,the neck was all messed up,and the action was out of control,i thought by fooling around with it i would get it right sooner or later,but in the end i had to bring it to my teacher to have it set up,what i thought was straighting it.was actually messing it up worse,there is more to adjusting a neck than meets the eye,its alot more tricky than it looks,save yourself time and effort,and the possibility of damaging your precious bass more than helping it ,have a pro do it,and look into different luthiers,find a good one,i went to local music stores and asked different players who was recommended,dont go to just anybody,would you bring your car to any old hack garage?its worth the effort.
    piece! adam

4. Jeez Geez - take a breath and use some punctuation would you??:rolleyes:

The real truth of the matter is that if you are experienced with - and comfortable with your instrument, then knowing how to make these adjustments is just another tool in the arsenal of an all round musician. It isn't hard and the link given above will get you started. I agree that a player with only 9 months (and who obviously wasn't paying attention in english class) shouldn't be rushing into twisting the trussrod around. But more than a few of us have done this for years and it isn't too difficult to understand.

5. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I think every bass player out there should know how to adjust the neck.

It's a very simple procedure.

Just don't do it if you have no idea what you're doing though.

6. 3rdEye

3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    CA.
    Its much, much easier to adjust the neck on more modern instruments. The truss rod is usually at the headstock.Very convenient. On the Fenders you have to take off the pickgauard to get to the truss rod adjustment at the bottom of the neck. Thats a real pain in the ass.:mad:

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No, I bring it to some one that has the right tools & know-how & experience. But if I run out of washer fluid or my tires are low on air, I can do it myself. :)

Yes!!! You learn from experience & I've learned from experience that I can save ALOT OF MONEY because I know how to set up my bass. :)