Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I swap my Geddy Lee neck for a standard Jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 10, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I need some opinions on this. There are two reasons i am thinking of doing this. Because I have large hands (6'1, 200lbs) i think that the small neck causes my hand to get fatigued. I dont have alot of experience playing other necks so maybe i am wrong about this.

The second reason is that my geddy neck doesnt have enough "beef" past the 7th fret on the a and d strings. I adjusted the relief but it still sounds thin.

opinions?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you want to do that, I'm sure you could fetch a few bucks for the Geddy neck. Small handed freak people like them.

3. I think you're right, TORIN. I just played a Geddy this afternoon, and I honestly didn't like the neck that much. I'm used to a P-bass neck, so the Geddy felt like a toothpick to me. You might want to go all the way up to a Precision neck if the Geddy was bothering you.

4. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    how much would you want for the neck?

5. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Don't undersell the neck. You can probably sell it and completely pay for a made in USA neck. The GL's fetch $300 on ebay, easy.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    In an effort to reduce fret buzz on the eleventh fret (this was the only fret that was off) i filed the 11th fret. It worked really well and solved the problem on the a string, but screwed up the d string so it doesnt ring true at the 11th. If i keep the neck i would have to bring it to a luthier to replace or fix the 11th fret.

This is another reason to consider selling it as I would have to pay $50 (or more?) to a luthier. I could save myself that money by buying a new neck.

Considering the 11th fret issue how much could i get for this neck?