Should I swap my Geddy Lee neck for a standard Jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 10, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I need some opinions on this. There are two reasons i am thinking of doing this. Because I have large hands (6'1, 200lbs) i think that the small neck causes my hand to get fatigued. I dont have alot of experience playing other necks so maybe i am wrong about this.

The second reason is that my geddy neck doesnt have enough "beef" past the 7th fret on the a and d strings. I adjusted the relief but it still sounds thin.

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you want to do that, I'm sure you could fetch a few bucks for the Geddy neck. Small handed freak people like them.
  3. I think you're right, TORIN. I just played a Geddy this afternoon, and I honestly didn't like the neck that much. I'm used to a P-bass neck, so the Geddy felt like a toothpick to me. You might want to go all the way up to a Precision neck if the Geddy was bothering you.
  4. how much would you want for the neck?
  5. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Don't undersell the neck. You can probably sell it and completely pay for a made in USA neck. The GL's fetch $300 on ebay, easy.
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    In an effort to reduce fret buzz on the eleventh fret (this was the only fret that was off) i filed the 11th fret. It worked really well and solved the problem on the a string, but screwed up the d string so it doesnt ring true at the 11th. If i keep the neck i would have to bring it to a luthier to replace or fix the 11th fret.

This is another reason to consider selling it as I would have to pay $50 (or more?) to a luthier. I could save myself that money by buying a new neck.

Considering the 11th fret issue how much could i get for this neck?