Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I Switch Gold For Black Hardware On My Custom?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had originally ordered my custom to have black hardware, but gold was inadvertantly used. I'm sending the bass to it's builder for a setup this week, and he offered to put black hardware on if I'd like. What do you guys think? I actually think the gold ended up looking pretty good, but maybe black would look sharper. Any photoshop guys out there?
    Let me know what you think I should do!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics here:
    http://www.bryanrtyler.web.aplus.net/music/gear.html

2. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I think the black knobs and tuners would look good but not sure how good a large, black bridge would look on your bass. Given the size of the bridge, you may be better off sticking with the gold IMHO.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well,

It's YOUR custom... so, customize it to YOUR specs...
    I know some folks on this site will bag on others, for going w/ gold hard ware. But, I don't think it looks bad. Ultimately, if it bothers you , just do it.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

wow , thats a beautiful bass ...
    the black hardware would look nice , but the gold makes it stand out .

maybe try wood knobs and a black bridge w/ black tuners ...

thats a tough decision , wish i was the one who had to make it !!! :D

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    That would be my choice too.
    However, it's a beautiful instrument and I'd be happy with it as it is too.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'd go with the black hardware, but that's just me. I'm not a huge fan of gold hardware. That's still a really sharp lookin' bass nevertheless!

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think the gold hardware works really well, especially with the reds and purples in the through neck. I'm sure it would also look good with black but I'd be inclined to stick with what you've got.

Wulf

8. I personnaly would let the gold!
    Just my mind....

Vince

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    My $0.02...

I'm a huge Black Hardware fan. Never seen a bass with Black HW that I didn't like. That's not to say that Chrome/Gold doesn't look great also, but all things being equal I ALWAYS likke black better. Probably the only thing I don't like about my Cirrus is it came with Gold HW but I'm planning on replacing it with Black as soon as I can hide the $$ from the wife for that and a cool set of Wooden Knobs to match it.

It's kindof a quick hack job in Photoshop but it's all I have time for right now (I am at work afterall), but here is close to what it might look like...

10. i agree. you paid the money, not us!

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think maybe black knobs, but keep the gold bridge and tuners. I think the black will loook better on the knobs,and it wont be completely random, since the fretboard is black,etc.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Keep the bling, bling!

13. Hey

He asked for advice, we give him!
    That's sure he will decide what he want!

Vince

14. First off...

I have always admired your bas.. its just simply elegant and the wood combination as well as being Tonal matched are also colourfully matched...

The Gold hardware tho.. as urself has pointed out.. is a bit OTT...

Though i think the light tones in the wood complement the Gold somewhat..

I was thinkin along the lines of Roscoe's way of thinkin

[​IMG]

The pefect blend of black and gold.. but maybe with black knobs..!!!

15. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Do what you think is best. My only comment is how your guy could have made the mistake to begin with. Didn't he look at your specs?

16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Since you're asking, I'd say first choice black, second choice chrome. I had been thinking first choice chrome, but that photoshop looks pretty good.

17. The gold hardware looks good, but I think the black would definitely look better!

18. Just change the knobs to black and leave the rest gold! This is the easiest and cheapest way to go!

A bit like my GB (not the best of pics!)

[​IMG]

19. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    You can never go wrong with gold - keep it the way it is.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1

Dunno how much you sweat, but some gold hardware does "fade" from wear.