Should I switch heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrJBass, Aug 21, 2000.

1. MrJBass

Apr 3, 2000
    I have just recently bought a Mesa/Boogie Bassmaster 400 (not 400+) head. It plays very well, but it needs new tubes. Now I like it, but it is going to be expensive to re-tube it. I was thinking of trading it in for a Galien Kruger 700RB head. If anyone has advice, opinions, criticisms, or anything else for me, I would appreciate it.
    Thanx, MrJBass
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I don't have experience with either amp, but I think that you'll probably want to answer this question yourself. Which sound do you like better? If you like the Mesa and it's working fine then I'd go ahead and get a new set of tubes for it. If you'd rather not spend money on tubes and like the sound better, then go with the GK.

One other point, though I don't know how much it really matters, I've been told that GK amps are rock solid durability-wise and seem to last forever.
  3. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Well I think it comes down to this.
    Do you like the sound
    enough to put up the cash for the retubing.
    I think that is the question you should
    ask yourself.

If I were you, I wouldn't trade it for a 700rb
    in a million years. I don't know a lot about
    mesa-boogie, but I know they're expensive.
    Your bassmaster 400, probably costs a lot more
    than the 700 rb. If you decide on selling it,
    you should put up a classified
    ad and see what you can get for it. In my eyes
    the trade you are considering isn't a good one.

Greg P
  4. Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Just out of curiosity, about how much does it cost to re tube your head? I didnt think it was that much where you would consider selling the thing. But maybe thats just me...