Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I switch my MIA Jazz DLX pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 5, 2004.

1. You can do it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, don't bother.

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Just put some carrots in there, it'll be awesome!!!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a set of Warwick MEC pickups, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to change out the Suhr pickups for the MEC's. Also, I must take into consideration the problem if fitting the pickup leads in. The leads come out of the bottom of the MEC's, and it has to be squished to fit. Or I have ro route the bass, which is not something I lok forward to. I know how to, I just don't know if it'd be worth the mod. So, your opinion counts, here. I was trying to sell the MEc's, but there were no bites. So I fugure I might use them. Unless someone wants them? ;)

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Anyone? Any opinions?

3. I wouldn't bother performing the swap unless the current pickups just aren't cutting it or I was bored beyond belief and felt the need to tinker with something.

I imagine that based on the combination of materials used in most Fender's, the MEC's in your Jazz would sound like an instrument from Warwick's Rockbass series. No actual experience though.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, I dunno. I like the grinding bridge tone. That really growly sound. I know it has a lot to do with the wenge necks of olden days on the ones I've played. Even a fretless Thumb 5 NT had awesome growly tone. So I was hoping for that. I dunno. Just bored.

5. I personally prefer the Suhr's. If you have nothing to do, try em out. It won't give you a Thumb tone, but it'll be different.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's about what I figured. I might just leave them alone and find a jazz proect bass to slap them in. Anyone got one??

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Are the Suhr p/u's the one with the large pole peices?
    If so, I wouldn't. Personally, I think those are the best Fender pickups.