1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I switch to MBE

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jozhaa, Nov 22, 2006.

1. jozhaa

jozhaa

Mar 21, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Hi there everyone

i currently play my upright through GK 200MB with Shadow SH950 pickup (which is basically a copy of the Underwood). I really like the sound my amp produces when i run it on flat, but it seems like it is lacking power when i have to do some louder gigs and rehearsals. I was thinking of switching to MBE or MBS to gain more power but now i'm confused whether it would be a good decision soundwise. I haven't tried the new GK's yet cause they're unavailable in my country. Are they really so different? Also in a few days i will recieve EBS NEO 112 extension cabinet which may solve my loudness problem, but sometimes i don't want to carry around an ext cab just because my combo is too underpowered.

So to put it simple: is the gain in power with the new GK's worth the loss in sound?

Thanx
    BTW: sorry for the bad un-cool English

2. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Jozhaa,
    Personally I liked the 200MB's Preamp much better than the MBE. I've owned both amps at one time and used an Underwood Pickup at the time. You will gain power with the newer models, but you sacrifice tone quality IMHO.

Ric

4. +1
    I had the same problem as Joshaa. The solution for me was the extension cabinet GK 112MBX (very light,portable). The power of the 200MB is enough to run both speakers (combo plus cab) and I have more volume, because 200MB´s 100W power section is fully working ;) .

5. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Unfortunately, the specs for the 200 MB's give the power rating at a 4 ohm load. Unless I'm mistaken, Help Rob or Durb!, that means the power at 8 0hms is actually less. Here are the specs from the
    GK

200MB Specifications
    Max Input Level 9v rms
    Sensitivity (400hz) 4mv
    Power 100w@4ohms
    Effects Send 750mv rms into 22k for full power
    Effects Return 750mv rms into 12k for full power
    Extension Speakers 200MB 8 ohms with internal speaker
    on 4 ohms with internal speaker off

Ric

6. jozhaa

jozhaa

Mar 21, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    thanx for the input guys!
    ric, yes, it really doesn't say the power rating at 8ohms. i think it's around 60W. i think carved said the real potential is used when you run it with an external cab on 4ohms so you get the whole 100W.

anyway i really enjoy playing on this amp. tried the swr bass 350 for example, it was way louder but with all that harmonics my bass was pure mud. completely useless. actually i never want to part from it. just thought i could replace it with the same thing only louder, but as it turns out the new mbs/mbe series are something else.

7. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Jozhaa,
    I'm concerned here because Carved says he is using a Gallien Krueger MBX cabinet that has a 8 ohm load with the internal cabinet at 8 ohms which does get you to the 4 ohm load, but driving two speakers. I would think that the volume increase would pretty minimal. But then, I'm not a techincian.

8. When I am running two speakers (200 MB´s internal plus MBX112 cab), I am getting around 1/3 MORE of the volume and GREAT lows! I am using this setup on loud places (and for big band) where solo 200 MB has not enough power;) .

9. I'm running a 112MBE w/ 112MBX and it does make a big differents

10. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I use a 112 MBX with a Euphonics Audio Micro head
    Also a bunch of other amps , but this is my most portable

Thanks

Robert VanLane