Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i take my amp or go direct?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by notabob, Jan 1, 2004.

1. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    ok, heres the scoop...i got an avatar b210 for christmas, i have a peavey t-max head and yadda yadda. i play in a four, sometimes five, piece worship band on sunday mornings at my student ministy. there are about 150-200 high schoolers. we play for about 10-20 minutes before the service and maybe for a minute or two during the invitation or whatever. we did this new years thing about three hours from here and it was a couple of days long and we rocked out and i loved having the support of the amp behind me. my question is, is it worth it for me to tote my amp there and back? should i just go direct? i guees the quitarist totes his 4x12 and head there every week, so it wouldnt be horrible or weird if i did the same w/ my 210. what would you guys do in this situation?

picture of stage \/

[​IMG]

edit: feel free to move this to miscellaneous if you think ill get more bites there.

2. I play in worship teams at Churche's too. I always bring an amp. I don't get enough of "me" in a monitor to generally hear myself well enough to play my best. In addition, sometimes the house doesn't have enough umph to carry a decent bass sound so I can fill the house with my rig if needed.

On the monitor thing, why is it there never seems to be a monitor available for the bassist and you have to share (means barely hear) off of someone else's monitor??

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    actually, they give me my own monitor. one of the sound guys plays bass too, so he knows how retarded it is when you cant hear yourself.

4. Now, repeat after me. I will always take an amp with me. I will always take an amp with me...

Feel better now, don't ya.

Invest in a good direct box (such as a Countryman 85) as part of your regular gear. That way, a sound guy can get your signal and your amp is totally out of his loop, serving as your monitor, under your control. Let the PA do the rest of the work for you.

5. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    Take the amp. I play worship music also and a few months ago the other bass player took the amp to youth camp. They gave me a nice JBL wedge, but couldn't get enough out of it to be usable. Basically player the entire service by just feel. Really missed the amp, and I keep my stage volume down pretty low.

Tim

6. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    alright guys, i guess im taking the amp. the first time i had used my amp was over new years at our youth retreat thing and, as i said before, i really liked it. i also ran through a direct box. i plugged it into the preamp out on my t-max and it ran through the system. on new years eve, the sound guy told me that he had accidentaly not been running me through the system as much as he shouldve been, but that my bass was still loud enough just through the amp. the amp was anly set at like 1 and a half. he told me that i could blow everyone out of there if i really wanted to. the place was pretty big too. it had about 50-70 foot ceilings and it was probably at least 1000 square feet. i guess i say all of this to say that i really like my new avatar and i dont see why i shouldnt bring it wherever i go. after all, its only a 2x10.

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dude your clearly worried that your having too much bass when i say you do not have enough. You need like 2 svt-4 pros into 2 ampeg 8x10's. You will worship their socks off.

8. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    im not worried i have too much bass. i am worried that bringing an amo may be overkill, but im not worried about that now either. no worries.

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i was kidding :) IF its too loud your too old

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    oh, im 14. its not too loud, and i dont think im too old yet :bassist:

11. i always bring my amp for worship. you wont overpower. and its better to have to much power because you can always turn down. and sometimes you dont get enough bass in the monitor and you cant controll your tone before it goes to the PA if you dont bring it. better to have and not use than to need and not have.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    words to gig by.

even if you're given a monitor, some monitors dont sound nearly as nice as the amp itself. there's nothing like having a great sounding amp behind you. also, what if someone else does the sound? then you might not get the same levels, and could be struggling.

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yes, joker, that happens. happens when i really dont want it to. i just talked to the guy that i sold my first bass to and he goes to my church and he said he was gonna bring it sunday so i could play it again, just for old time's sake. im really excited! (peavey milestone 4)

edit: wow! i found a really old picture of it and my first amp and my (sold) volume pedal and (sold) zoom 506II

[​IMG]

14. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I bring my entire rig every Sunday/service...if it's an "acoustic" type service, then I bring 2x10, if it's the regular kicking Sunday morning deal or similar, than the 4x10 gets the nod. I don't want to be caught with too little sound, and our PA guys suck, so I basically have to provide my own tone/sound for the house. I mike my cab rather than go DI (or use the DI to send a second signal for more beef) so I get more of my real sound out there, whether I play at church or no...

...all that to say, you made the right choice. Bring your rig...bring all your "toys" too, you never know when it could add to the worship!!!

15. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    see, i had wandered what the benefits would be to miking instead of going direct. i figured that i would be able to better reproduce the sound of my amp through the system. the sound guy complained that my bassballs didnt sound too good through the system, while they sounded fine thru my amp. i bet miking the amp would make him more happy. thanks rev.

16. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Not a problem. It's time sound guys realised that our amps are part of our sound, same as skinny stringers, and afford us the same treatment!!! :D

17. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Unless you have a bass DI, I'd bring an amp.

18. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    its time for the rest of the band to realize that too...

19. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I hear that...

20. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    and sure enough, the rest of the band did too yesterday. i found my sound. thanks for the encouraging guys.