Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by addylewis, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Hi - I've got a proposal that could prove to be an educational hazard...first let me state that I have been doing a BA (hons) degree in popular music for 2 years and am aproaching my final year

I put an ad up on the internet to find a band

I've found one that are further ahead in terms of what I was thinking of - they have released a single on Creation records (home of "The Others" and "The Paddingtons"). They have A&R men interested from labels in London, they are managed by OASIS' manager, have supported Babyshambles (ex-Libertines PETE DOHERTY'S new band) and they more or less do it full time (practice 4 times a week, have weekend jobs) - they are also hoping to record an album in a few months. I think they may have a chance.

I have not auditioned for them yet, but I'm meeting them on tuesday for a drink and a chat...

My dilemma is - I cannot rehearse 4+ times a week whilst doing 3rd year of a degree, if I choose the band and we make it then my dreams of becoming a star are true - if we mess up after a few months then I've potentially lost 2 years plus of a qualification that would almost guarantee me a half-decent job...

I know, I may not even get in the band - but I'd like some advice and opinions on what to do/say when I meet 'em...

NOTE: The band on the link is the said band
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    When you sit and chat with them, just express your concern. See if they'll work around it and what not. Talk to THEM about it :p.
    Good luck!!

3. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I doubt highly that they'll work around your schedule. IMO, it's almost like you should know what you are getting yourself into. Won't hurt to meet the band, jam a bit. You may not know how you feel until you do that. I wouldn't bring up all of your personal stuff before you've come to some sort of decision for yourself, you may take yourself right out of the running!
    And I really don't think you owe them any big explanations or discussion yet, just try to get a sense of whether or not this is something you want to pursue (not music, this particular band, and their schedule and goals).
    Good luck!
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have to agree with spc. First see if you even jell. If the chemistry isn't right, the problem is solved for you.

If the chemistry is right, then you have a decision to make.
  5. Don't join the band unless you're really really into the music.
  6. I agree with the consensus with them first and if you like the outcome then decide....Personally, I'd have to have goose bumps to quit school but I also know the other side of the coin...I have a really good friend that I write with that was a Math Major in college in the 70's and minored in music. He was dating the woman who managed the campus studio and wound up getting a LOT of studio time for free. He was walking down the hall of the dorm one day and heard someone playing accoustic guitar and stopped and talked to the guy. Turns out the guy was really cool and they hit it off and started hanging out together. They wound up going into the studio and cutting 8 songs that my friend had far so good...the guys played out a bit and had a good time, got a campus following and played a little more...

A few months later, my friend got a call from the guy he met and he asked him to come with him to a meeting with an A&R guy and my friend said he could not because he had class....They guy takes the meeting and is offered a recording deal and the A&R guy wants them to go into the studio immediately...He comes back and talks to my friend about going to LONDON (they are at Old Dominion University in Virginia at the time)to do this record and my friend tells him he can't because he still has 2 semesters of school left...The guy begs him to go but he will the guy asked my friend to sell them the songs on the demo which my friend did....8 songs for $800.00 which was GOOD money in the 70's!!

The guy wishes him well on the day he leaves and asks him 1 more to time to friend again declines and says goodbye....several months later my friend is in the rec room playing ping pong when he hears this riff on the radio....he can't believe it!! It is from one of the songs HE wrote!!

I've been running through the dessert on a horse with no name,
    it feels good to be out of the rain........

"HOLY SH*T" he says to the guy he is playing with that is my song!!! He can't believe it and tries to get in touch with the guy he met but can't reach him...3 days later he gets a phone call from the guy he met in the dorm that is Dan Peak...Dan Peak was one of the founding members of the 70's supergroup America (and although he did not know it at the time, in a way, so was my friend!) Dan tells him that he should be listening to the radio because the song was racing up the charts!! My friend was thrilled and sick at the same time......It turns out that of the 8 songs my friend sold, 3 of them would go on to become top 10 hits during the 70's, Horse with No Name, Sister Golden Hair, and Ventura Highway.....

Dan has been very good to my friend and they have remained friends over the years, BUT my friend was crushed that he did not make the right choice and has spent his life regretting it...unfortunately my friend turned away from music and become disillusioned about the business when he could not collect on the fruits of his labors. By signing away his rights and selling the songs, he gave up all claims to the money he should have gotten and never has gotten any royaltys or anything except what he was given for the songs and some bucks here and there from his friend.

The moral of my story? DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT and be prepared to live with the results NO MATTER WHAT!! In hindsight, my friend made what turned out to be the wrong decision, BUT if he had of gone, and it turned out to be nothing, could he have lived with that either? Be prepared to seize the opportunitys that are presetned to you but also be prepared for the consequences of your decisions....GOOD LUCK and may God Bless you on your journey...

7. Cheers guys - I probably should have a think and meet them before I decide...I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    See how it goes when you meet up with them. Most universities/colleges are fairly flexible and will allow students to defer their final year.
  9. Fantastic, fantastic advice ! Also PLEASE remember...even if the audition goes well, and you know you ripped on the tunes, got along with the guys, and get told how well you play...keep it REALLY in perspective, as you don't have the gig till they tell you. Obviously. Even if EVERYONE says how good a fit it would be, your own style and musical influences are right there with them, etc, and you start a mental plan of HOW you could make it work, you could still not get the gig and be really, really bummed out. I just went through this and to say it was a bummer was an understatement, and I hate when this happens to others. Best of luck, practice so you don't need cheat sheets, but bring them!, be on time, DRESS CORRECTLY, be positive, but not too enthusiastic...well, I'm sure you know the drill!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tom, that's deep man. Great advice for all those who have to decide between a "regular" job and pursuing a dream!!
  11. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Tom, America is one of my favorite bands! I met them in Norfolk, VA (Town Point Park) in 1986/7 (can't remember which). They are great guys. You know, they always had a monster bass player, and the lines on those songs live are killer kinds of fun. Many of the recorded versions like "Only In Your Heart" and "Woman Tonight" put those lines in the recordings, but America Live shows that they had an outstanding player holding down the low end.