Should I tell them I quit the band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Oct 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I went and got my stuff after they fired the drummer without telling me. Technically, I guess we are a band looking for a drummer but are we even a band? I was with these guys for about 4-5 years. My Ampeg fridge is in my living room right now. I really don't feel like having this conversation but I guess I should call someone and tell them I am done right?

2. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Should you call them?
    Yes and no.
    Yes, because you made a decision and it effects them. If they like your playing they'll probably talk you back into staying.
    No, because they never called you about their decision. If they like your playing they'll probably call you and talk you back into staying.
    Now that your amp is out of there, you are available for new band opportunities.
    This is why I use a PortaFlex PF500 and 1x15 cab. It goes home with me every night.

3. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average

May 2, 2010
    Rise above the situation by showing them how an adult behaves. Tell them you quit, and then move on.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'd text at the very least but maybe that's just me.

Ductapeman, LowFish and Munjibunga like this.
  5. It seems he was that good (to you).

Double E likes this.
  6. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    When you got your stuff,did you like say anything ?
    I hate the fact they didn't respect you enough to tell you.
    That would make me think they don't want me either. That's just me.
    I never really understood why the non bassists feel we aren't necessary until they need us.

Tbone76, obimark and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  7. The decision making was definitely unilateral. I was treated like basically an unpaid sideman and i dont feel like going forward without our drummer.

Tbone76, ExaltBass, Terracite and 3 others like this.
  8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Yes, call them and inform them that you have quit. That much is professional courtesy. If they ask why simply don't elaborate. It doesn't serve your needs to give them reasons, it only helps them. Frankly, they don't deserve an explanation. It's their problem. Let them figure out why they are down a whole rhythm section instead of just a drummer.

Tbone76, gln1955, Oddly and 5 others like this.
  9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    Always take the high road. Give them a call and say you're done. Try not to burn bridges...you never know when paths will cross again and you don't want a bad rep. People talk.

Tbone76, mstillman, brbadg and 25 others like this.
  10. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    I'd call them and let them know, and if they ask explain why. Don't volunteer any info, don't be angry, and be as diplomatic as you can. It's just like leaving any other job, IMO.

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Like Steve and Nev said - have the conversation but keep it really short - as in: "Effective immediately, I am done". No reasons or excuses necessary. Text or email if necessary.

pudgychef and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  12. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Why would you not tell them? Just a conversation and, who knows, maybe things will work out, you may learn something or at least you will know you did the correct thing. If it turns antagonistic then at least you tried.

13. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    No, verbal communication can be ambiguous. Be a professional - go back to the practice space, pop a squat, and leave a strong message.

obimark, mngnt, Abe-of-Bass and 12 others like this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Think of all the money you'll save if you're no longer Paying for the Pleasure of playing.

15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i would let them know i was no longer part of the band and if they want to know why, the above is exactly what i'd tell them. firing a band member without involving all the other band members is more than high handed imo - it's outrageous.

16. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Call the band leader, whomever that may be, and tell him you are done. You don't have to say why, just that you are done. You have your gear, so you're good.

Then maybe call that drummer and see what he's got goin' on, eh?

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I just quit a band and told them in person. It's better than telling somebody by email or text. At least call them.

18. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Grab the drummer start your own band. I did something similar then stole their gigs by being honest, more professional and a better band.

eriky4003, btmpancake, brbadg and 6 others like this.
  19. Gasman

Gasman Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I have always quit in person, but that's just me. At least a phone call is warranted given the time you've been in. Don't burn bridges.

Mantis Tobaggan and Munjibunga like this.
  20. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I'm not great at conflict, so I'd probably just move in the middle of the night.