1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I throw in a 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Filthybass, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Thinking about running a 8x10 cab and a 4x10 cab,thru 2 ampeg svt 4,too many 10"s?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No. You're better off keeping it all 10's.

3. Or maybe 8x10 cab w/ 2x15?

4. No.

Yes

5. Faijex

Faijex

Jun 26, 2009
    Iowa and UK
    Peavey what is your take on 12inches? I've heard so many different opinions.

Also I've been wondering the same as OP, what would be the advantage for keep all 10s?

6. I like good cabs that sound good. I don't like cabs that sound bad. Speaker size has little to nothing to do with how the cabs sound. I have has cabs with 10's, 12's, and 15's that sound good. It's the cab as a whole not the size of the speaker.

There is a ton of lit out there about problems associated with mixing speakers. A short list:

Power handling mismatch
    Sensitivity mismatch
    Phasing

7. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    Mixing speaker sizes will yield unpredictable results. It may be great, but probably won't be. Mixing full range speaker sizes has a tendency to cause phasing issues.

15s do not produce more bass than 10s and 10s are not punchier than 15s. The factors that produce low frequencies and punch are not inherent to any speaker size.

8. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I'll just add that mixing mismatched drivers of similar sizes can lead to unpredictable results, not just approaching the limits of one or more of the drivers...

Can't hurt to try but don't hand over cash without a return option before you try the whole system.

Note: A ported 410 and sealed 810 are very different animals. Even if they have the same drivers, the tuning is almost certainly quite different... And you'll need two different eq's and/or a crossover etc. etc. etc. Or maybe not. Impossible to predict AFAIK. Good luck! Your ears are the final arbiter.

9. In your opion,whats the ultimate speaker set up for rock bass

10. Playing clubs and outside venues,powered by 2 ampeg svt4"s

11. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    If youre using that big of a rig just use a bloody 410 and mic it.

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    IMHO, It's a great PA, (and ideal sound guy) with an amp and cab(s) onstage for monitoring with enough power to destroy, but only running at a comfortable SPL.... OK slightly above that, but not enough to mess with the front of house.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    With 2 SVT 4 Pro's, you could run 4 8x10's. Which particular cabs or spkr sizes you use is mostly personal preference, but using all matching cabs ALWAYS works best. So, you could choose 4 2x15's if you wanted, but 8x10's give the most volume, usually.

14. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Yes... but 4 sealed 810's will be annihilated by two 'super' 215's that are ported and tuned low, at least in the lows. For sub lows, a PJB rig is supposed to be insane. I haven't had the pleasure unfortunately.:crying:

EDIT: when pushed to their limits. You'll need more watts for the 215's tuned low to go a lot louder... sensitivity is a big factor in getting high SPL at any frequency.

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Geddy's ;)

16. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    to the OP: where have you found to play that needs TWO svt 4 pros? unless you already have two different cabinets and are experiencing phasing issues that wash away the sound, your entire band must be deaf.

having a back-up isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a bridged 4-pro should be more amp than you'd ever need. anything beyond "that" is where you have a PA taking over the grunt work and your rig can actually get smaller because all you need is the DI/mic.

17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Nothing wrong with using all 10's matching speakers is the way to go.

No need to run a 8x10 and a 4x10.
    the actual difference in dB with the extra 4x10 would be minimal
    to hear another 3dB you would have to add another 8x10 to your 8x10.

you have the right idea more speakers but you dont need 2 amps
    If a single cab and speaker is not loud enough simply add more cabinets, matching cabinets. You need cone area not watts.

So using a 2ohm stable amp is essential so you can keep adding parallel loads. An amp that is only 4ohm stable could not run Two 4ohm cabinets. So only one 8x10 would be possible.

Start with one 8x10 if that is not loud enough add another 8x10.

Usually one 8x10 is good, sometimes you reach that magic level in a loud band. and a single 8x10 starts to get spongy. So you add another 8x10 to get a little bit more headroom. With 2 810's and a single head you would be loud as #### the extra cabinet really just helps keep the sound level the same with less distortion, and you actually dont need to use as much power as a single 8x10.

After playing through 2 810's for like 10 or so years you might get bored and think there is something else out there.
    Yep, 4x15 simply 2x 2x15's...

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think you sir, are a world class contributor to your fellow man and an irreplaceable asset to society.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tsk tsk tak...that's my line, dammit!

:D

20. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Two fEARful 1515/66 cabs.