1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I trade a TBC five for a Fender MIM Five and cash?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldrookie, Apr 9, 2010.

1. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Okay, so here's my issue. I have a TBC AP500 M. Very pretty bass and lightweight. I like it, but am not real comfortable with the string spacing around the nut. Just a bit tighter than I like.

Found a MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe Five (2006) in really nice condition. The TBC has always had a bit of buzz and I could probably help it a lot by doing some shielding.

The biggest issue is that I usually have to play sitting down and I find the neck just a bit wide and I have to twist my wrist a bit more than I like to get the A at the 10th fret on the B-string. It also doesn't give me any tones that my G&L Tribute L2500 doesn't give me. There is no issue getting the A on the B-string with the G&L

The Fender is a jazz with active electronics and does give me some tones the G&L doesn't cover as easily. String spacing is more like a four string and I do like that down around the nut.

Buuut....the TBC is probably more unique and I think it is far better looking.

Any thoughts, fellow TB'ers?

2. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    My opinion is no.

As you stated the TBC is more unique and perhaps I am a little biased (I have the exact bass) plus I am not a HUGE fan of Fender (I like them, I just don't LOVE them).

BUT...it sounds like you are not happy with yours and that you may be happier with the Fender.

In the end, it is just a bass...own what makes you happy and play what you like.

Good luck with your decision.