1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I trade an American standard p bass for a 1983 Squier p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stoggin, Oct 25, 2020.

1. stoggin

stoggin

Oct 16, 2018
    Hey.

thinking about getting rid of my USA standard p bass (2008) for a 1983 Squier p bass. Kind of a nostalgia thing but the Squier is also much lighter than my fender which is a consideration. Is this a good idea?

Attached Files:

2. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Why not, if you like the Squier better. Not a straight trade, though, I hope.

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Definitely not as a straight trade but as already said, why not.

One thing to check on the older Squier is the truss rod nut. I have seen a number where that was stripped. Great players though.

Eric66, leftybass54 and Mili like this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sounds like a great deal for the guy who's getting your Fender!

tzohn, Eric66, brmusician and 63 others like this.
  5. If you want to

6. I'd probably go squire + 200 bucks in your pocket. Then you can upgrade the hardware on it, and get it to around the same as your standard, but with less weight like you say it has.

7. That would be like trading a Cadillac for a Yugo.

dSay, Eric66, Ian Lewis and 35 others like this.
  8. arbiterusa

arbiterusa Guest

Sep 24, 2015
    Nonsense. An 83 JV Squier is going to be one of the best built instruments you're ever going to find. I'd do that trade in a second.

Not a fan of the maple neck but I'm not a fan of maple necks in general. Would still do the trade.

9. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Not really. I have a Squier Jazz Bass and a Fender Jazz Bass. The Squier pots and tuners were not as good as the Fender's, but I replaced them. Now they are both comfortable to play and sound good. More like the difference between a Chevy and a Toyota.

rockinrayduke, Eric66, jdc866 and 9 others like this.

10. I had one, no comparison. You're leading this poor guy astray. IMHO of course.:laugh: Although the Japanese Squires are better than the later Squires.

B-Mac, TinyE, FRoss6788 and 7 others like this.
  11. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    That would depend strictly on the side-by-side comparison, or it would for me, I guess. My own inclination is to stick with the USA. However, if it is in fact a JV Squier and not an SQ (I don't remember the precise dates of either), it could potentially be worth it. I'd simply be more worried about the fact that the Squier is that much older than the one you already have, not necessarily that the Squier was made in Japan. I'd really want to make sure the quality and condition were there, that it sounds right, balances right, neck still straight and all that jazz we always talk about, and then see how you feel about it.

Eric66, relaxant, Xhaxo and 4 others like this.
  12. Keep the USA and get the Squier too.....

dSay, Eric66, Ian Lewis and 27 others like this.
  13. No the Am.Std has better parts & features than the Squier.

14. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Go for it, same quality since it’s a JV Squier maybe even better...

sears likes this.
  15. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    Worst advice ever. An old Squier is like 300.00. The American is worth 8-900.00

16. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Sell your USA Fender and then buy a Squier. By the way, I have an old Nissan Sentra I’ll trade you if you have a Mercedes E Class.

dSay, JR Bass 62, Eric66 and 25 others like this.
  17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Value wise yes, playability, quality, workmanship, it’s the same :poop:, the label is pretty much what makes the difference...

squarepeg and TrustRod like this.
  18. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Those Squiers have developed a cult-like following. I've owned one and played a few others. I'd never make that trade. But, if you do it at LEAST try and get a few hundred dollars to make it even.

Eric66, AstroSonic, B-Mac and 4 others like this.
  19. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Understand your issue with weighted would do it for that reason alone. Sounds fair to expect a little cash along side a trade with a Squire and using it to mod the Squire , I think, is inspired.

leftybass54 and Simon Fretless like this.
  20. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    I respectfully disagree. I believe there is reason for the price difference.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020