Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I trade an SM400S for.........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    an Ampeg V-4BH(Recently Retubed,Biased)and EV 1-15 Cab.The V4 is the Classic Series from around 1996-97 but is said to be in new condition.EV cab is worn but speaker is good..

2. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Anyone?

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    unless i had another amp, i wouldn't. too heavy + not enough power.

but that's just me ;) and i'm a known SWR ho.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    My main amp is a GK 2001RB.The 400S is just sitting in my closet and i've always wanted an all tube amp.:confused:

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Then why not just do it? The SM-400 is a classic in its own right - or on its way to becoming one (I too am a known SWR ho), but if it ain't whatcha want and it's sitting in a closet...

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I have an SWR SM400S, and its a great amp. Does the Ampeg do stereo and bi-amping? Parametric EQ? 550 watts bridged? I think that if you like the sound(and if you don't, chances are you can find a sound out of it that you do like) the SWR is a winner all around. Very flexible amp.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Another SWR Ho chiming in:

That said, he's had problems with that amp for a while and clearly prefers his GK over the SM400. And for all its flexibility, it does not emulate an all tube head well.

IMO, the V4B is an amp that should be put out to pasture. Yeah, people will say 100 tube watts are louder and blah blah blah. That only applies if you're willing to put up with something that sounds like nuclear farts. The V4 is underpowered by today's standards and if you're after the tube sound you'd be better off going for an SVT of any vintage than a modern V4B.

Of course if you're only going to use it for quiet practicing or mellow gigs then, yeah, go for it.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    in that case, go for it! it'd be a sweet amp for recording/low volume gigs. (although on most of my low volume gigs i wouldn't want to haul such a heavy head there...)

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    by a sans amp instead.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Another ho here chiming in. I'd stick with the SWR in this case! I have the SM500 and I wouldn't trade it for any stinkin' ampeg. :spit:

;)

brad cook

11. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i just sold my sm 400s and bought an all tube mesa d-180. they are both really great amps. as mentioned above, i would sell it if you want to use the ampeg for small show or recording but i wouldn't sell it if you plan on using it as your main amp.

12. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN

One point I forgot to make, if you prefer a different sound you could give changing the preamp tube a try. Just trying to get all the options out there (and yes, I am biased). :D

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The SWR SM400 would be a better back up head if your GK blew......I've had mine for 15 years...great head;)

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Thanks,that's what I looking for.Like I said the 2001RB is my main amp so the V4B would just be kind of a guilty pleasure.Wouldn't dream of doing a big show with it but it seemed like a good deal with the EV-15.I don't really dig the tone of the 400S anymore but I guess it would be louder for a backup.......

15. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    How much did you get for your 400S and how did you go about selling it?

16. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    SWR SM-400s amps on ebay have been going for between $400 to $450.

17. Best damn used Bass Head deals on the Planet.
    Less then a $1 a watt.

18. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i used the recycler. i sold it to some guy for $480 including an anvil rack case.

19. Ok, I'm a self-admitted SWR ho as well.:oops:

I'd keep the SM400s (shock) I'd love to have one of those. From what I've read, seems the old SWR stuff is pretty well-made and their DI is one of the best for live applications. However, if it's achieved 'hand me down' status with you, and you'll prolly never use it again, then go ahead and turn it. Do whatever butters your biscuit.

20. First, the SWR Henry 8x8 goes...
    ...and now the SM 400-S....

Wow, after 30 years of playing, I found that the 8x8 400-S combination has the World Class Pro Tone and Top Notch Quality few manufactures have ever, or will ever achieve.

Good luck finding something more satisifying.

No GAS for anything else here.
    I keep my SWR SM 400-S & Henry 8x8.