1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I trade? ashdown mag300 vs sansamp rpm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zaviere, Jul 1, 2012.

1. zaviere

zaviere

Apr 20, 2012
    So I'm fairly new to bass. Former guitar player. I got my first amp ashdown mag300r a few months ago. I have no complaints about it. But I put out an ad to see if anyone wants to trade. How will I ever know what I like unless I try it out right? I was hoping to trade for a gk mb200 but thats kinda a long shot I know.

Anyways, a guy responded offering a sansamp rpm preamp and an american audio vlp300 poweramp. Is this a fair deal? I know price wise its pretty even I think. But are there any cons/pros to going with a separate preamp/poweramp rig? and tone wise?

BTW the way I use the mag300, I dont even use the eq section. I bypass all eq controls and switches. So its basically the raw jazz bass tone.

opinions?

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    The RPM might be my favourite preamp. Especially staying the sansamp range I prefer it over an RBI.
    I like Ashdown MAG heads.... at their price point an low wattage heads... but the RPM is an upgrade in my opinion.

I don't know what that poweramp is.
    But I would certainly trade.

The downside is that a pre/power setup is heavier and bulkier to move around.
    Otherwise great for flexibility.

3. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    The RPM itself is worth more than a GK MB200. I have no idea about the poweramp though. Never heard of it. The RPM gets a lot of love on TB. It's a good starting point for building a rig.

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Okay, I searched the poweramp. It's a bit low in wattage. :/ 150W @4ohm, 100W @8ohm per channel.

What cab are you playing through?

Still nice deal on getting an RPM though.
    And good thing you don't mess about with your EQ. Leave it flat... until it needs adjusting.

5. zaviere

zaviere

Apr 20, 2012
    I'm using one of those tc electronic rs210 cabs. its rated at 400watts but im not completely sure what ohms mine is. trying to find the ohms online but I dont see anything about the ohms

6. zaviere

zaviere

Apr 20, 2012
    and as far as the power, I'm not TOO concerned with power at the moment. My main gigging band is an acoustic trio type band. so I'm really only up against acoustic guitars and a vocalist. and right now I barely even turn up the mag300 and its loud enough.

I am trying out for a blues/funk band tomorrow which will be a strat guitar and a drummer. Dont really know what kind of volume I will need for that though.

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    It's 8 ohm. http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/RS210_212_410_112manual_2_US.pdf

Still... it would be a cooler rig then the GK combo you were considering. Just my opinion.
    And I like Gallien Kreuger stuff.
    Just your TC Electronic is nicer.

Are you gigging? Or just band practice? Do you need a lot of volume at the moment? (Edit: I was typing this before I saw your last post.)

In the future you are probably going to upgrade your poweramp. (And maybe cab)