Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i trade basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SkaKing27, Aug 8, 2003.

1. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    Ok,I have a mim. Fender P bass,with emg passive pickups,and a Fender Jazz neck on it.should I trade it for a MIM Fender Jazz,that comes with a hardshell case.They are both black with a black pickgaurd,I payed 250 for the P bass,and they want 250 for the jazz,he said he'd trade me straight up for it..good deal or not?...they both play and sound amazing.thanks.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What type of music do you play. If you play punk, dont do it. IF you paly jazz, do it. IF you paly blues, do it. IF you play funk, do it. IF you play metal, do it. Although you would wanna replace the pickups in the jazz.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what are you talking about?
    where have you been? more "punk" players are using jazz basses now...
    and if you install a series switch youll be all good.....

steve

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm quite concerned, as it appears that the english language is almost dead.

But, from what I THINK you're asking, I'd do it, unless the Jazz Bass has been thrashed.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    who are you talking to?
    i was talking to Figjam..not skaking

and why did you say that you are concerned that the english lanuage is almost dead...

and i sure hope you think

steve

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    sorry, but this is a question only you can answer for yourself..

a mim p-bass for a mim j-bass.. hmmm..

if they are both in the same condition then the trade is pretty much even.

which do you like best? they obviously both play pretty much the same seeing as how they both have the same neck, so which do you like the sound of better? I personally like the sound of p-basses, however, it is hard to get that p-bass to sound like anything else (IMO) so if you are after a little bit of versatility, you may preferr the jazz, especially if you add a series switch (sound more like a p-bass)..

i think people saying "if you play punk, dont do it" is kinda dumb... sure p-basses have been THE punk bass forever, but it does get old and that sound gets lame and boring (IMO)..

play them both and decide for yourself :)

good luck with your decision, I hope you're happy with the one you make.

bebop

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Get together with the guy and play both basses through your amp and see which one "does it" for you. P basses and J basses are different animals, one is not better than the other just different. I've always favored Jazz basses but I have a friend that swears his '73 P bass is the be all and end all. When I play his bass it's like, yeah this is real nice but I'd rather be playing my Jazz bass. So you need to decide for yourself. Here's a hint for you. When you play the Jazz bass fool around with the pick up blend. Start with both pups full on then turn the neck pup up and down, same with the bridge pup. You'll be amazed at the variety of tones you'll get from one bass.:bassist: