1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I trade in my bass guitar at guitar center or sell it on craigslist or ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petchimps123, May 10, 2010.

1. petchimps123

petchimps123

Mar 28, 2009
    Hi, i was looking to sell my Ibanez SR 500. I bought it about 2 years ago and its still in good condition. It looks brand new. It is missing one of the knobs. I bought it for around 500 or 550. I also bought a hardshell case with it. Where can i sell the bass guitar and the case to get as much money as possible? and will guitar center give me around what i paid for the bass guitar since it looks brand new?

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I didn't read your post. I didn't need to. After just reading your thread title I can safely, with 100% accuracy say no. Don't sell your instrument to Guitar Center. If you do, make sure to bring anal lube as you are going to need it.

3. spitfire70

spitfire70

Oct 14, 2009
    Charleston SC
    Be prepared to be insulted. Try craigslist first.

4. Ditto! You will not get nearly as much trading it at GC as you would selling it outright yourself. Put it up for sale here, on Craigslist or even Ebay, but don't settle for the low amount you will get at GC!

5. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    The answer to this is- not even close. You could have bought the bass one day prior somewhere else and they still would not offer you a good price.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Only if it's really cheap and they're still doing the 15% for trade ins deal. My drummer traded in his squier P-bass for $50 plus 15% off of an amp he was buying. Ended up essentially getting almost $200 for a bass he originally bought for $50. Outside of that, GC only gives you 50% of what they'll make from selling it, which is based on the current ebay price, meaning 50% of what you could get if you sold it yourself.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    what everyone else said. this thread can be closed now. :)

8. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    No. Absolutely not.

9. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Wherever you sell the bass make sure you get a new knob first.

(and for what its worth IMHO try Craigslist or eBay first and GC as a last resort. GC will sell it for around what you'd get for it on CL or eBay and in order to make their margin they will offer you less money than that!)

10. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    get a supporting membership here on TB for $20 and sell it here. it's your best bet at getting a reasonable amount for it.

11. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    +1000.

You've been a member here for over a year and haven't noticed that tons of basses (and other equipment) get sold here? :confused:

12. petchimps123

petchimps123

Mar 28, 2009
    lol im too cheap to pay 20 bucks to get a membership. I think ill try the marketplace in facebook first. What do people here think of that?

13. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    The only time you can get anywhere near what your instrument is worth is if you can find a used piece that you like. You can assume that GC paid about half the price the item is selling for. You can usually get a better deal trading on a piece like that, but you have to present it right. In 2004 I traded my Warwick Corvette FNA 5 for a 2003 MIA P bass... got a hard shell case, six sets of strings and a stand thrown in on the deal. While I think all parties came out with a good deal, I did see they tagged my Corvette at $899. The P was selling for $799. Had I just traded it in I would have probably been offered between $450 and $500.

14. Nooo
    go through Craigslist if anything its free
    but seriously 20 bucks aint that much to save your butt from getting ripped off at Guitar Center

I sold my entire rig at Sam Ash before discovering Talkbass
    its one of the classic "If I only knew.."
    I sold an EDEN 2x12 cab, a 900 watt stereo power amp , a BBE bass preamp
    and rack case all for .....................................$500 :(:(:(

In fact I didnt even get money for it
    instead I opted for in-store credit and got a Spector 5 string
    which I had to pay taxes on since they wouldnt cut me a break on the deal

I dont have the bass anymore
    and my butt still hurts

15. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    If you that cheap I'd take it to GC and get a cheap trade. :D

Also the fact that you are now advertising the bass for sale without a supporting membership should guilt you into doing the right thing....or maybe not if you're really cheap!

16. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1. And if you won't pony up for TB membership, then use Craigslist.

17. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    go for it... then come back and get a supporting membership on TB when all you get is spammer replies and low-ball offers ;)
    seriously, one time $20 is NOTHING. if you sold it on ebay they'd book you at least that in fees and other crap. sell it to guitarcenter and get $150 for it if you're lucky. it's just common sense to go the TB way.

18. Nonononoooo dont....

19. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    On craigslist, you have the smallest exposure but you control the price totally. On Ebay, you have the largest exposure but have no control of the selling price in an auction. If you use the "buy it now", very few will even view the ad. Trading it in is the worst option. GC will try to sell it and make a profit, therefore they will only give you a wholesale price. In selling, the item must look it absolute best, no missing parts, with excelllent pictures and a well written ad/description. I buy and sell 3 -4 basses a week on Craigslist. You must be prepared to wait for the right buyer which may take several weeks or months. If you are in a rush and don't care about getting a good price, trade it in.
    Rocky

20. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Big NO for selling it at GC. I wouldn't recommend selling it on here either. People on this site fall into one of two categories: they want to offer half of what you're asking or they just want to ask useless, persnickety questions but never make a real offer. I gave up posting stuff here.