1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should i trade my '66 p-bass in for a sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigers2, Jul 16, 2002.

1. craigers2

craigers2 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    ok,
    here's the problem. currently i own a sadowsky 4-string that i love and use 90% of the time. the reason why i like it so much is that it is very easy to play and has a great sound.

i also have a 1966 fender p-bass (sunburst) that i bought 3 years ago. i love this bass because it has so much "character" - but i haven't been playing it too much. it is a great bass, but its sound just doesn't fit well into my current band like the sadowsky

i'm considering trading in my p-bass in to buy a sadowsky 5-string. i just know that in 10 years, i'll be kicking myself for giving up my fender. what do you guys think? would you trade in a "vintage fender" or hang onto it?

2. trane

trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    IMO, it doesn't make much sense to hang onto an instrument simply because it's vintage gear. Sell it if it doesn't work for you, hang onto it if it does.

[ edited to add: Just because the bass doesn't work for your current musical situation doesn't mean it won't work in a future one. Bass (sic) your decision on the instrument rather than the music you're currently playing. YMMV. ]

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, if you have doubts now wether to trade it or not, then you´ll most likely be kicking yourself in the very near future for trading it away.

Maybe it´s better to hang on to the ´66 P-bass and save money for the Sadowsky.
    Good things come to those who wait :)

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't know if i would trade the p-bass... Its only going up in value... id hold onto it for awhile longer... but thats just me

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I'd hold on to the P. You don't use it now, but as soon as you sell it, you'll be craving that P bass sound.

6. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Your dilemma is the same reason why I'm keeping my Pre-EB Stingray. (I want another Sadowsky too.)

I agree with Nino and the others. Everyone should have a P bass in their collection...but if you're not enamored with the vintage thing, I'd sell it and get a used Sadowsky 5 (@$2500) and '70's P later ($700).

Ken

7. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    thanks for the advice guys. if it was just my money, i'd keep the p-bass and buy a new sadowsky. problem solved. my wife does not have the same feelings as i do, however.
    she seems to think that we need furniture in our house. :confused:

i'm just going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a used sadowsky 5 for now and start saving my money.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    don't do that move.

9. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd trade if you could do it straight up. But Cash and the 66 for a Sad, I say no.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I used to own a '69 P. It was heavily modified but sounded great. I regret having sold it.

Roger's still got plenty of basses in him but there are only so many Fenders ou there people are willing to part with.

11. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Hey Big Wheel,

I really dig your Gutherie quote! Can I steal it?

It reminded me a little of another great talent that happens to play a mean bass as well: Tom Bianchi.

http://www.blazingartists.com/tombianchi/

Cheers,
    Ken

12. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Why? I don't think I will ever want or need a P bass...I don't like the way they sound.

-Chris

13. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Keep The P!!!!

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It isn't mine, I'm just borrowing it.

You can borrow it too, though. :)

Oh, I still think keeping the P is the way to go.

15. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    all right. i'm pretty convinced that i should hang on to my p-bass. it is a great bass, and i know that i would really regret it if i ever let it go.

if i'd just hit the lottery, i wouldn't have these problems. :)

16. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Keep the P. Sell (or see if Roger will give you a good trade-in price for) the Sadowsky instead. If you move to a five, the four will collect dust, no matter how much you like it now. Yeah, you'll eat some depreciation on the four, but I'll bet the Fender will appreciate enough over time to make up for it. It might be a tougher sell to the wife, but I think it would be the best long-term solution.

17. What about a Sadowsky PJ 4 or 5? Best of both worlds. I have a 4 string fretted Sadowsky jazz and a PJ4 on order.

18. dabassr

dabassr Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Tx
    I recently went through a similar decision. I bought a Sadowsky V4 and began neglecting my '60 Jazz, which I really like. Then I began thinking about a 5 string (fretless) and ordered a Sadowsky V5. I initially thought about selling the '60 Jazz, but after thinking about it some more, I decided to keep it. I'm betting it will be worth more in 5 or 10 years than it is today, plus as much as I like the sound of the pre-amped Sadowsky's, I don't want to let go of that old Fender's funky growl.

19. Me neither!

I don't like P pickups! I don't like the shape of the P body! I don't like the P sound (except through a nicely overdriven SVT... then it's okay...)!

I DON'T LIKE P BASSES!

Crucify me.

J's, however...mmm...two single coils...

--jeff