1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I trade my Alembic for this Pedulla?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morf, Apr 28, 2006.

1. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Should I trade my 87 alembic persuader NT for a Pedulla Thunderbass/bartolini electronics?

the alembic is nice but I fear its not the right bass for me. Let me know what you think of this.

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    The Pedulla is the flamed maple top bartolini pickups/electronics, all gold hardware, NT, and was made in 93.

The alembic is the one in my avatar, all stock.

3. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    A pic of the pedulla:

[​IMG]

4. In my opinion, no.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd take the thunderbass over the alembic any day. I used to have an ET-6 and I really miss it.

6. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Have you had a chance to try the Pedulla? If you have and you like it better than the Alembic, go for it.

I used to have a fretless Alembic Spoiler but got rid of it. It was well-crafted and sounded great but the ergonomics (weight, balance, playing position on strap, untapered neck, long reach to nut even w/ 32" scale) were awful IMHO. I love the 2 Pedullas I've gotten recently--a Rapture J-2000-5 and a ThunderBolt 6.

7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I've liked every pedulla I have ever played, besides the ones in Guitar Center..

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I wouldn't do it, either. While Pedullas are definitely great basses, they don't seem to keep their value very well for some reason. You can find them for well under a grand used.

9. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    He said it was a '93. Unless it's been languishing in the back room of a store for 13 years it's probably already taken the depreciation hit. Alembics tend to take a good hit from their lofty retail prices, too.

10. That's a tough call.

They're both fine instruments, so it basically comes down to which one you like the most.

Back in 1988 (I think) was when I got my first nice bass and it came down to an Alembic and a Pedulla MVP. I got the Pedulla and never looked back. It was a little different back then though. No internet, not too many reviews. It really came down to driving to one store than the other and trying them out. For basses in that price range they were my only choices and it came down to personal preference.

10 plus years later and I was shopping for a five string and it came down to a Thunderbass and a Lakland 55-94. I got the Lakland. Once I pick up the Lakland I new it was the bass for me. I still would love to have a Thunderbass though

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "they're both fine instruments, so it basically comes down to which one you like the most."

+1 It sounds like you are having doubts about your Alembic so the change might be just the thing. I don't worry about resale value when I buy a bass......probably because I assume I am going to keep it forever.....boy am I wrong.

12. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Well, I am pretty sure the Alembic isnt for me. I enjoy playing it and it sounds really great but as winston put it the ergonomics aren't for me I guess. I haven't played a Pedulla, and the problem is that there arent many places where I can find such basses around here. I was just thinking it'd be nice to try a variety of basses until I can figure out what exactly fits me best.

Can you tell me about the thunderbass' playability? Is it an easy bass to play, well balanced?

13. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I think itd be good if I told you what kind of music I want to play. I'm not into slap/pop that much but dont mind a bass that can be slapped, what I'm mostly interested in is keeping grooves, funky stuff at fast and slow bpm, rock/metal as well but good thump and depth would be great.

14. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I'm sorry the Persuader doesn't work for you. I liked it better than the Rapture I used to own. As far as value, both basses are within $100 of each other. I know your Alembic is mint. The Pedulla needs to be in the same condition for an equal trade.

Bill

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The thunderbass should play effortlessly and have great ergonomics. Those are two of Pedulla's strong suits. I say "should" since the current owner may not have it set up well, and there could be fret wear, etc.

16. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    The pedulla is flawless as well so I guess its an even trade. Any comments on its sound?

17. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Indeed it is too bad, I really love the tone and depth of this bass, it just sounds amazing.

18. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If you want an instrument to hold the groove, have you considered a Fender or Musicman?
    Alembic, Zon, Pedulla are more for players who stand up front. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

19. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I have a Fender but am considering getting a vintage jazz. Maybe I'll go this way instead.

20. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I don't really agree with that when it comes to the thunderbass. Its got a very warm and thick sound, with a lot of "ring" in the highs that can be easily toned down with the onboard controls. With the thunderguts engaged, they sound huge. I found it to be very capable of laying down a big supportive sound in a rock setting.

People made fun of me showing up for rock gigs with a zebrawood top 6 string, but I sounded good. :D