1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should i trade my Fender for a Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassmanDk, Mar 11, 2008.

1. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    As some of you know i have a Fender Jazz 1972 for sale.
    It's not original, i say around 85% original (decal and pickguard).

This guy wants to trade in his NYC Sadowsky Standard 5 with cherry burst, Bart pups and chrome hardware for my bass.

Do you feel it would be a good deal for me?

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I can't tell you to make the trade or not. If the Sad sounds right to your ears then why not. My only question is if its still a Sadowsky if it has Barts in it?

I have bought and sold a few basses over the years mostly to clear up some debt but I still have debt as well sellers remorse over a few things. If you think you'll really miss the Jazz then maybe best to hang on to it but if you've decided to move on then it won't hurt too much. I expect an NYC Sadowsky is a bit of a rare beast in your area.

3. I think the majority of the value in the Fender is due to it's age. If you are a collector, keep the Fender. If you are a player, get the Sadowsky. I'd bet my paycheck it plays better, and sound..well, that's subjective.

4. I say go for the sadowsky.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Even though I'm a fan of sadowsky's, I say keep the Fender if you really love it. Sadowsky still produces basses of high quality so you could always get one later down the road. Its not every day that you find a 72 P bass, and if you did, you'd probably have to pay a buttload of cash for it as vintage prices keep going up and up.

6. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Well you have your fender for sale, or am I mistaken?

I would take the Sad anyday.... maybe put Sadowsky PUs in if you don't like the Barts...
    As a former Sadowsky "critic" I must confess, I have become a convinced MV5 player!

7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    monetarily I'd go with the Sad as well.

8. HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    That's a fact. They will not be making any more 1972 P-basses.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Both basses are worth $2500-3000 depending on condition. Nobody wins or loses unless you decide you miss the Fender after you trade it as it will be hard to replace.

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yeah, just think if in the future you have enough money for both, if you will regret selling the Fender, because by then it could either be really difficult to find a good vintage Fender, or it will be incredibly expensive.

As mentioned, Sadowsky is not going anywhere and you can always have one made in the future.

But if your are not 100% in love with the Fender, and the Sadowsky feels good in your han and ears, go for it.

I personally would not change a "good" '72 Jazz for anything. . . I would rather save to get a Sadowsky (or anything else) as well.

11. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    You really have to go with your gut, but it is a fair trade. It really comes down to which bass you prefer. Nobody gets the raw deal there, though. For me, however, it's probably the Fender.

12. I'd keep the Fender, too. You don't run into a '70s Jazz everyday [in assumably good condition].

13. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Present values are pretty close--so it seems like a fair trade. Of course, the Fender will go up in value, but that doesn't do you any good if you're looking for a 5 string player.

If it were me, I would go for it. Have you had a chance to play the Sadowsky?

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Well all the "the fender will appreciate faster than the sadowsky" comments do have some merit, but i think you know the answer yourself. The very fact you have the Jazz up for sale is because you have already decided to part with it.

Trade it off. You'll lose money, almost definitely, in the long run. However, i think there's a lot more satisfaction to be derived here, and boy is it cheap satisfaction.

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    although the fender is probably pretty cool, i'd go sadowsky.

16. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    A lot of people are responding as if you weren't intending to get rid of the '72 Jazz in the first place. The OP clearly states he is selling the '72 Jazz. I would take the Sadowsky personally.

17. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    Yes my Fender is up for sale. I'm more of a player than a collector and i feel the Fender isn't my cup of tea even though it plays really nice. But i would like to sand down the back of the neck and shield the electronics in order to make it more useful. But i can't get myself to do that to a 36-year old bass.
    The Sadowsky is more useful to me now.
    But it is almost too pretty for my taste. And i'm not in love with the no-pickguard design.
    And i just bought another Sad; Brewster's Reverse PJ 5 string which is my dreambass!
    But again as someone said, in my area(Europe) a NYC Sadowsky is quite rare. But it would seem overkill to have 2(two!) NYC Sads.
    I haven't played the Sadowsky yet and i think i will leave it up to how it plays.
    Tanks a lot for all your input.

18. I would keep the Fender. Sad's are easy to come by in comparison to the Jazz you've got.

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have a suspicion that a 72 Jazz is easier to find then a used NYC Sadowsky. Neither bass is extremely common on the used market. But Rogers entire production (of NYC's) doesn't equal a month of Fenders production in the 70's. I can go to several web sites as we speak and find a used early 70's Fender J, if I'm willing to pay for it. But it's pretty rare for their to be more the 2-3 NYC's on the market at ay one time. I must admit the first thing I would do with that NYC is replace the pickups.

20. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    In that case, make the trade.