1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I trade my Genz Benz Uber410 for a Marshall VBC 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlystronNoir, Oct 22, 2013.

1. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

May 18, 2013
    I have been offered a trade of my cab for the marshall vbc cabinet. I love the sound of the genz benz but I might want an 8X10 because i often work in situations where there is no monitoring and i would like to have speakers near head height. Is this a good cab or would i be downgrading in sound?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I wouldn't trade my GB Uber 212 for a Marshall 412, but this is a question only YOU can answer. Play both, choose the one that's more appropriate for YOUR needs.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  3. I don't know anything about it, but clicked out of mild curiosity, being an Uber410 owner.

Just a quick search turned up a used VBC 810 for $250. It's discontinued. What did they sell for new?

Not that prices dictate your value in meeting your needs (or desire for no less than equal sound quality), but personally, I'd think about selling my Uber410 and buying the 810 I really wanted before I did this...again, just based on the few pieces of into from a quick google search.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If I had a superb 410 like an Uber, and wanted it closer to my ears, I'd buy a stand from MuFr for 85 bucks that weighs only 20 lbs waaaaaaaaaaay before I started lugging around an 810. I haven't heard the Marshall, but the Uber is an amazing cab.

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    You'd need to objectively A/B them with your normal gear. I'd take the Genz over it but I looove the Genz gear. I do think that a top notch 410 (like you have!) and a stand or wedge negates the need to lug around an 810.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    If you're having trouble hearing the UBER then something is amiss, IMO. What kind of amp are you using? You might correct the situation with more power or a better EQ section.

Also, as you turn up LOUD you should be backing off the LOWS and EQ'ing in more low mids. You'll hear yourself better while putting less strain on the UBER. Quite frankly it will sound better too, IMO.

7. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Seriously? A VBC 810 for $250.00?? Where did you find that? I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

8. Exchange a Genz Benz cabinet for a Marshall??? Not in this life time!

9. .
    I'd be buying a second Uber 410 myself. ;)
    Mainly from a portability standpoint.
    I'd rather be lugging a 410 twice than an 810 once!
    Easier to transport in a car, etc. etc.

AND......you love the sound of one Uber 410.... two will sound twice as good! LOL! :p

JimiLL likes this.
  10. +1!

11. Like I said, I don't know anything about it and just did a quick google search.

It was from several months ago and may not have been legit for all I know. How much did they cost new? How long discontinued?

http://www.classifiedads.com/musical_instruments-ad37775006.htm

12. 8 ohm Uber 410s are rare, I'm guessing he has a 4 ohm.

I should say, they seem rare (rarely ordered?). Pretty much every one I see is 4 ohms.

13. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I know everyone here loves to dump on Marshall gear, but that is one the few 810 cabs I've tried and liked. FWIW. ;)

14. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Holy crap. The price is now $125.00??? These things were over a grand new (up here in Canada). They're part of the top of the line bass series Marshall had out. I have 2 VBA 400 heads, and 1 VBC412 from that series. They're awesome! It looks like that ad is expired, but I can't believe someone would be selling it for so little, unless it was trashed, OR they mixed it up with the MBC 810, which was part Marshall's budget bass series. If I'm not mistaken, those went for around $500.00 or so new up here. Either way, if it was a working cab in good shape, it was a steal. If it really WAS a VBC810, it was a MEGA steal, hehehe...

It seems that Marshall has discontinued all their current bass lines. Nothing on their website anymore.

Cheers!

15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    marshall stuff is heavy ime, the sidewinder loaded 115s weighed a ton

16. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    I can agree with that. I have Marshall Sidewinder loaded 4x12 and 2x15 bass cabs, and they're no lightweights. My VBC412 is comparable, in weight, to a guitar 4x12 cab, though, and I'd imagine that the VBC810 is similar in weight to and SVT 8x10 cab.

Cheers!

17. Even though it's discontinued, the specs are still on the various reseller sites; looks like ~160 lbs...heavier than most but lighter than a few.

If you're going with an 810, how much does it really matter if it's 125 lbs or 160 lbs? Neither is light.

18. .
    Yeah, good point. You're right.

It wouldn't be hard to re-wire each cab to 4ohm I guess, but some might be scared off by the prospect.

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I still want to hear what the OP is using for an amp. If it's not enough, he could sell it and buy a Carvin BX1500 for a paultry sum of around 600 bucks delivered. In bridged mono, the UBER @ 8 ohms would see 900 watts RMS, enough (with that cab) to make your eyes bleed. Bridging at 4 ohms produces 1500w RMS, so adding another UBER would not be a problem.

20. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Okay, I know I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but I'm wondering if any of you can give me a recommendation. I'm looking to get a sturdy stand to elevate my Uber 410. I'd actually prefer that it not be a tip-back, but more of an "end table" style (though not as high as a normal end table. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of running by a Lowe's to see if they have something that might work. So it doesn't really HAVE to be specifically made to hold cabinets. I'm open to any and all suggestion. Thanks!