1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I trade my L-2000 for 62 RI Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harpo, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I found a sweet 62 jazz bass RI and the guy wants to trade
    My 99 G&L L-2000 I know that a used 62-Jazz RI is worth more on the used market then my L-2000 . I have always wanted a 62 RI but I am sure I would be making a mistake
    I know some of you who suffer from severe GAS with tell me
    to buy just have both but I am saving up for a new rig and my wife and I are buying a new house so money is tight

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I can't think of a comparably priced bass I'd trade my L2000 for (now a Lakland, Sadowsky or similar instrument would be a different story). But that's me.

Which bass would you be happier with? If the Jazz is "the one", or closer to "the one" for you then go for it. I traded a MM Stingray for a Fender Am P Deluxe and then sold the P to get the L-2000. I definitely understand looking for "the one" while on a budget and only able to have one bass (at that time). However if you'd regret parting with your L2000 then wait and get a 62 RI later. Both are mass-produced commodity-type basses so you'll always be able to find another one in the future.

Keep/trade for the one that makes you happiest.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The G&L is more versitile!!! You can get a J sound from an L-2000 but you can;t get an L-2000 sound from a J.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yet, if you're looking for a J-sound, nothing does it better than a J-bass. Furthermore, If you play professionally in a studio, how many producers ask for that "L-2000 sound" by name?

Will C.:cool:

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd go for the 62 RI. I sold my g&l 2000e. It was a good bass but I could never get the exact sound I wanted. My 62 RI is one of the best jazz basses I've ever played. I think I like single coils alot better on bass.

6. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I have done a little a thinking ove the past 24 hours and I am keeping the G&L the 62 RI jazz
    has a little more vibe then the G&L but I have so
    many sounds I do not get board . So I will keep it
    for now The only way I would upgrade is For a Lakland

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cool

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Sounds like you made the right decision. I know that I have made one-too-many deals that I later regretted.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I hear ya, I'm just not a Fender man. Personally I think an L-200 is better than a 62 RI. I've had both, still own the L-2000. If a producer can't get a good sound out of an L-2000, (J sound or any other sound) he should pack up & get a new job. :)

10. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I do get great Sounds out of the G&L I think I might get rid of my a strat the I have and get another bass . My buddy has a sh*& load of guitars
    at his house and I can always take one to keep at
    my place. Thanks everybodys input