Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I trade my L-2000 for 62 RI Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harpo, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I found a sweet 62 jazz bass RI and the guy wants to trade
    My 99 G&L L-2000 I know that a used 62-Jazz RI is worth more on the used market then my L-2000 . I have always wanted a 62 RI but I am sure I would be making a mistake
    I know some of you who suffer from severe GAS with tell me
    to buy just have both but I am saving up for a new rig and my wife and I are buying a new house so money is tight

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I can't think of a comparably priced bass I'd trade my L2000 for (now a Lakland, Sadowsky or similar instrument would be a different story). But that's me.

Which bass would you be happier with? If the Jazz is "the one", or closer to "the one" for you then go for it. I traded a MM Stingray for a Fender Am P Deluxe and then sold the P to get the L-2000. I definitely understand looking for "the one" while on a budget and only able to have one bass (at that time). However if you'd regret parting with your L2000 then wait and get a 62 RI later. Both are mass-produced commodity-type basses so you'll always be able to find another one in the future.

Keep/trade for the one that makes you happiest.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The G&L is more versitile!!! You can get a J sound from an L-2000 but you can;t get an L-2000 sound from a J.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yet, if you're looking for a J-sound, nothing does it better than a J-bass. Furthermore, If you play professionally in a studio, how many producers ask for that "L-2000 sound" by name?

Will C.:cool:

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd go for the 62 RI. I sold my g&l 2000e. It was a good bass but I could never get the exact sound I wanted. My 62 RI is one of the best jazz basses I've ever played. I think I like single coils alot better on bass.

6. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I have done a little a thinking ove the past 24 hours and I am keeping the G&L the 62 RI jazz
    has a little more vibe then the G&L but I have so
    many sounds I do not get board . So I will keep it
    for now The only way I would upgrade is For a Lakland

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Sounds like you made the right decision. I know that I have made one-too-many deals that I later regretted.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I hear ya, I'm just not a Fender man. Personally I think an L-200 is better than a 62 RI. I've had both, still own the L-2000. If a producer can't get a good sound out of an L-2000, (J sound or any other sound) he should pack up & get a new job. :)

9. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I do get great Sounds out of the G&L I think I might get rid of my a strat the I have and get another bass . My buddy has a sh*& load of guitars
    at his house and I can always take one to keep at
    my place. Thanks everybodys input