Should I trade my M-Pulse for a 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Since buyng my M-Pulse head 3 weeks ago I've found my tastes changing. As I play with it more and more I am finding myself using it differently than other amps in the past. I'm find the sound I like is more bright and slightly growly than with other amps. Not full on ampeg style overdrive grpwn, just a tiny bit of breakup in the upper harmonics while still having a solid bottom.

I'm also really liking the way the amp responds to the level coming out of my bass. I set the Spector's output just under where it will start to drive the preamp tube to breakup, so its smooth and clean while I'm playing normally but lights up a bit when I dig in.

In short, I love the amp, but the things I love about it are things that a tube amp does even better, right?

I am still within my 30 day return window from GC and the amp is in pristine shape. I even have all the docs safe and sound and haven't even removed the display tag yet. I'm sure I could take it back and have no hassle trading up to a 400+, but do I really want to do that? Can someone like me, who has been a sworn and bonded SS, so clean you can eat off it lover most of his life really be happy with an all tube head after just a few weeks with a hybrid? What would I really find peace and happiness and an end to amp related GAS? Or at least some kick ass bass tone.
  2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    imho, the mpulse is unremarkable, and the 400+ is truly something special. It's a little heavy, but it won't kill you.
    my 2 cents & you wouldn't be asking if you didn't want to do this.