Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I trade my Peavey for an Eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Dec 20, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Okay, so I really wish I would of waited!
    I ended up buying a Peavey Max 700 head, and just a few weeks ago I found a used Eden 550 for sale which really struck my interest..The Peavey is a nice head, I like the tone and its my 1st bass head (I had a combo before).The Eden is more $ than the Peavey obviously, so I would have to trade in my Peavey and pay the difference..I am losing $ in the long run since I am only getting 70% of the resale.

Both of these heads have similar output power, its just that the Eden weighs 20 lbs and is so compact, and my Peavey weighs 50 lbs and it is a tank. The Peavey is SS while the Eden is a Hybrid..obviously Eden is more of the upscale model than Peavey..do you think there is going to be a big difference in tone between the Peavey and Eden? Both also seem to have similar tone shaping features...the Eden gives you a little bit more control..

Blasted GAS :mad:

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    What condition is the Eden in? You should play through it -- you might like the sound of the Peavey better than the Eden, even though the Eden brand is "cooler."
    I'd base my decision on sound and reliability more than on weight. (Or coolness.) ;)

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I have not had a chance to play through it, maybe this week I will. The Eden is in mint condition. I think the fact that its an Eden makes me want it that much more lol.

I think my decision will have to be based on sound, since Peavey is known to be very reliable.

4. I would take my Peavey head along and A/B them. You might like your Peavey better.....

My point is, go with the tone, not the brand.

This is coming from a guy who plays Eden... not because I don't think you will like the Eden, but because you might prefer your Peavey.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

You should A/B the two and decide if the difference in tone is worth the difference on money. If you are concerned about reliability, I would not worry over the Eden, they are known to be pretty dependable as well.

I think you will be very happy with the sound of the Eden. They are considered cool for a reason.

6. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    yeah you can run over a peavey with a tractor trailer and you have about a 75% chance it will still power up

7. Size and weight would be a factor in my decision,... making me lean towards the Eden.

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I just bougt an Eden WT800B so I'm admittedly biased, and back when I was playing guitar, one of my bassist used to play a Peavey and I was not impressed, I also like Hybrids over SS so that would make a difference to me. Let me say the Peavey he had was old ( Blue Tuck and Roll ) so it may not be a fair comparison. That's just what I think, you should really play them both and decide what you like.

9. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I will agree with the 'play them both' crowd, but there are other considerations in case of a tie (although I've never heard a ss Peavey that sounded as good as a hybrid Eden :eyebrow: ).

Do both amps offer the same features (direct out for going thru a sound board, effects loop, various speaker outs for use with a variety of cabs, eq features, ect.)?

As has been mentioned, the Eden is half the weight of the Peavey. If you're gigging much, that's quite a difference.

Also, when you upgrade next time the Eden will hold the value of your investment better than the Peavey, and will give you back more when you sell it. ;)

Best of luck in your choice.

10. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Both amps offer the same features - direct out, effects loop etc..the Eden has better tone shaping capabilities, but not that much better...I will go and check it out this weekend probably.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If this was about speaker cabs, I'd say absolutely yes. On the heads ... play them and keep the one that sounds better.

12. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've owned a lot of high end bass gear(including a WT550) and one of the rigs that gave me an incredible tone was a Peavey. I didn't care for the WT550.

13. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    This is a no-brainer, get the Eden.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Should I trade my Pinto for a Mercedes?

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I tried not to go there, but I guess someone had to.

16. That's cruel, Munji. :crying:
    One thing to give some thought to is that if you really get to rocking hard, the Peavey will hold your cab down to the stage better. With the Eden, or God forbid, a Walter Woods, the cab might just rock off the stage. Actually the choice isn't quite as stark as Munji makes it seem. The Peavey is a good amp, but the Eden is a great one.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    "Bloodshed and slaughter, my daily bread." ... Name the character and the movie.

And you speak the truth, actually. Peavey is not the Peavey I knew and played in the '70s.

18. ^^Guess why I have searched two months for a Peavey Mark IV (ok ok it's from the 80's)!

But really.. Peavey make nice amps. I know someone who play with a squier guitar and has toured/played more and further then most of you guys. :eyebrow: So I would rather drive a Pinto if that fits me better.

19. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Wow you guys are comparing a Peavey to a Pinto?? Geez, now I really want the Eden!!

Obviously if money was not in question, it would be a no-brainer - Eden all the way! But it is, and I will be out hundreds of dollars here...am I willing to take the hit just to have an Eden? Well that depends on how much better the tone is than my Peavey Pinto Max 700. Soon we will see.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Sorry, no winners. Snake River Rufus Crile in The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.