1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I trade my ROSCOE for this???!?!??!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 11Bravo, Mar 27, 2006.

1. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
  2. lightfingers

lightfingers

Jan 13, 2006
    Sure...why not? You can always order a new Roscoe if you don't like the Simonetti. It would be better though if you could afford to keep the Roscoe and get the Simonetti as well. You could still sell one later if you choose.

3. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    i wish i could have both!
    but i'm very poor!:crying:

4. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    it looks ok

5. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I looked at your post history trying to find some details on your Roscoe, and instead I see regular attempts to trade it for a somewhat random array of items in looking for a "fair trade".

Before you go any further, stop and ask yourself a few things: Is the Roscoe simply not working for you? If so, why not? What are you looking for in a bass (tone, feel, etc)? What kind of music are you playing?

Tell us about your Roscoe (wood combination, config), what you do/don't like about it, and what you're really looking for in a bass. There are a lot of guys here that can give you some good ideas of what to look for and get your going in the right direction. Then, try out your options first if at all possible.

You need to figure out what you want first before you cough up what is probably a great Roscoe and get something in return that will leave you unsatisfied.

Just my $0.02... good luck!

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I agree with Midnight...what do you know about the Simonetti line? Have you played one before?

The difference between that bass and your Roscoe could be night and day. Are you willing to take that chance? I would assume that your Roscoe has Barts in it - the Simonetti has EMG's. Are EMG's more your thing? I would make sure that Cameron is offering at least a 48 hour trial period. If you don't like the swap, you get yours back. That's the only way I would venture in to this deal. I would think it will be much harder to sell the Simonetti than the Roscoe.

Good luck.

7. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    +1 to both Midnight and WestCoast. Try to define your issues with the Roscoe before jumping to something else. I'm not well versed with Simonetti, but if that bass doesn't do it for you, you may have a tough time getting rid of it (not due to lack of quality, but it has very little name recognition).

8. Well here's my .02...You don't really hear too much about Simonetti basses, and that normally says something. I know of a couple dealers that carry them, and they simply can't move them. Personally, when I hear things like that, I'd stay away because I'd worry about the potential resale value. OTOH, they could be really great basses, so if you don't have much invested into your Roscoe, it might not be a badtrade to try out because you may end up falling in love with that Simonetti bass.

I normally tend to like basses that have a "character" tone, like a Roscoe. I tend to not like custom made basses with essentially "standard" parts, and that's how I view Simonetti basses. If he was having some custom winds on pickups or using special preamps, I'd be more inclined to try them out. I suppose if you have a trial period though, why not make a trade and try it out.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id keep the roscoe.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Keep your Roscoe and learn to get good and various tones from it. I have gotten off the bass merry-go-round and couldn't be happier.

11. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    +1

12. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    +2

13. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Don't do eet, man.

14. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for all the info and I decided to keep it.
    Thanks guys

15. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    [Indy3]You have chosen.... wisely.[/Indy3]

;)

16. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Good deciesion, but the trading basses site says that the simonetti has sold a while ago anyway.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Do you have any idea what that Simonetti sounds like? A pretty bass and good bass are two different things. I can't talk though, it seems the one i don't have is always the cool one.:rollno:

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Oh well, I started my last post before lunch and came back and sent it. Disregard, I guess!:cool:

19. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Good decision!:) If the Roscoe sound with the Bart pre isn't the sound that you're looking for, give Roscoe a call and get a Demeter pre installed in your Roscoe. Makes for a different sounding bass!;)
    Keith and Gard will fix you!:bassist:

20. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    +1. You do have a few options available with keeping the Roscoe. What are the specs on your LG? We'd all be glad to offer some advice based on that information.

Shawn