1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Should I trade my Stingray for a P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Trade it

21 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Keep it

101 vote(s)
    82.8%
  1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    So I have a Stingray (1998). It's a beautiful bass. Solid as a rock. Still smells like maple syrup when you take it out of the case.

like I said this ray is a rock. I've taken it out of the closet after 6 months and it was still in tune and the action was perfect (unlike my fender that i have to adjust almost weekly). This thing is a fine instrument.

Despite all this I never play it!:rollno: I just don't dig the sound or the feel as much as my fender.

On top of this it was a high school graduation present from my parents so it has some sentimental value.

AND i've been playing on some fender american p-basses lately. I like em....i don't know something about me likes the old school mojo of j and p basses.

with the info above would you look into trading or selling the ray for a p-bass? think the fact that it was a gift is holding me back the most.

2. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Coincidentally my parents years ago bought me a pre-Ernieball Stingray (1979) for my high school graduation.

Being a present definitely makes it more sentimental, but I would never sell it regardless because..........well.......I'm not a fan of P basses.

Ultimately you have to decide for yourself which bass will make you happier.

........Keep the Ray. It rocks.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Keep it. I think that one day you will definetly regret getting rid of it, especially if it is the prize specimen of a MM that you say it is. Just save your money and get a P-bass.

4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I would take it out of the closet and get a wall hanger for it. It'll look good and also shower you with the sentimental value.

Save up for a P. Use the P and enjoy! But also consider that, in 10 years, maybe all you wanna play is a 'Ray!

5. I recently traded a SR5 for a Fender P Bass 4. This was partly because I just can't quite figure out what to do with a 5 but it was also due to me just not digging the bass as much as I thought I would. I have a Zon that plays great and sounds wonderful - it makes it tough to own a second bass at all! With that said, I do like my new P Bass quite a bit, especially for recording, but I'll admit that I don't play it as much as the Zon :ninja: .

Ramble, ramble, point is: trade it. If it doesn't do it for you try something new :D !

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I voted to keep it. You'll get around to playing it again someday.

Joe

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    here is my Pbass I built...I say sell the MM, and get that Pbass:D
    body1.jpg
    HS1.jpg

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Good advice... basses do look great on the wall, as sad as that is!

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i should also mention it's black....as superficial as it is...i don't like black or VERY dark colored basses....i want wood or red :smug:

10. I wouldn't give it away since it was a grad present....

Other then that it sounds like it's just not for you; I just wouldn't have the strength to face the person who gave it to u as a present.... i would just save up if i felt the P was for me.

11. wpkg

wpkg

Sep 22, 2006
    bloomfield, nj
    I say trade it, but if you have to adjust your current fender almost weekly why do you want another one?

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would keep it and buy a P bass. The Highway One's are pretty cool and reasonably priced or just buy a good used one

13. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    Keep the stingray, especially as it's a gift.

If you must have a P-Bass, i guess you'll just have to save :(

14. Well, I own a StingRay and a P Bass. Both great basses, each that I have certain uses for.

I say save up and buy a good used P-Bass. Then youll just have more tonal options.

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I would keep it for a while and save up for the P-Bass. If time goes by and you seriously NEVER play it, then I say sell it. I'd tell your folks that you'll always remember what they got you, but you want someone to have it who is going to play it.

As for what P to get, I would get a Skyline Bob Glaub as you'll have the P-Bass but you won't have to take the risk that like your other Fender, you'd have to adjust it all the time.

16. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    I voted keep it. Did you ask for that particular bass or did they surprise you with it? Have you never really liked the playability or just currently liking fender's a little more? Either way I'd keep it for awhile and just save up for a P, and then if after that you still don't like it then it may be time to consider getting rid of it.

17. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    cause it sounds and feels great :)...it doesn't go crazy out of wack..i'm just picky and like to have my setup perfecto..

18. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    well i pretty much told them what i wanted and we went to the store together...it was kinda a graduation, birthday, and christmas present all in one :)

for the record it got the bass when in 1998 so eight years ago...since then i have played and gigged a lot and i have an idea of what i like....i think i just wanted a stingray back then cause flea played one haha:)

19. Tamochantern

Tamochantern

Apr 20, 2006
    Decatur, MS
    I say keep it. I'm not a fan of MM, they feel kinda clunky to me. I am however a fan of sentimental value. My mom gave me an Ovation Acoustic Bass that I really don't like to play, but I am never parting with.
    So I say save up and get a P. I've got two and I freaking love them! I never have to adjust anything on any of my Fenders though - rarely have to tune a whole lot - don't know what all that's about.

20. Tamochantern

Tamochantern

Apr 20, 2006
    Decatur, MS
    Great job on that bass by the way, BassGreaser! I just finished one, too. Gotta get something on my peghead though.

[​IMG]

Plays like a dream!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021