1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I trade my Stingray for a P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Trade it

21 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Keep it

101 vote(s)
    82.8%
  1. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
    I say keep it! I have a Jackson guitar that I got for a great price in a pawnshop, I really don't play it but I'll never sell it unless it is for bail money or something like that....

You say that you don't dig or feel it like you do the fender. One day your tastes in tone will change and you will wish you had it back.

Also the fact that it was a gift, it is nice to take it out look at it, play it a little, and remember that your parents were that proud of you at least once...

Scott

2. Bill G.

Bill G.

Dec 2, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    I say keep it, too. I love Stingrays, but I also understand sentimental value. I think you'll end up regretting it if you sell it. I'm sort of in the opposite boat...I have a Jazz that I don't play that often. My Stingray feels & sounds much better, but I doubt I'll ever sell the Jazz 'cause I'll probably regret it.

3. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    if you like the feel of the neck, keep the bass and add p-bass pups! I saw a few pics of this modification on TB and it looks pretty cool. You'll then have the best of both worlds. Plus a wider variety of tones at a lower cost than buying a p-bass. I have SD quarter pounds on my p and they sound great and loud.

just my 2 cents

4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    haha:smug:

5. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    I play a P most of the time, and wouldn't be without it. But I say keep the Stingray.

Just now it feels as if you could turn it into cash, but in 10 years you'll regret parting with it EVEN if it hadn't been a present. I don't mean you ought to turn into one of these guys who can't get out the door to their 2nd Porsche for basses piled in the hall, but it sounds like a great instrument and you'll never get it back, and it's part of your life: your taste in bass sounds may change by then anyway.

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    Keep it, strip it and add a P pickup?

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    If you can afford to keep it, do it. My vote is keep it. Since ive landed my Fender Jazz I have been playing it everyday. However, the black musicman is still my choice for recording at the moment. And mine was a gift as well from the parents, and I wouldn't dream of selling it for that reason. Even though i prefer sunbirst fenders for appearance, the Musicman is still a slick bass that you dont see on stage that much.

But all in all its up to you. But in gods name dont destroy the value of the bass by adding a P-Bass pickup.

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    OK you guys have moved me to keep it :)

now how much to paint it????

9. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I wish I kept all those things Mom and Dad gave me. They take on a deeper, more special meaning when we sit together and reminisce especially now that they are approaching the twilight of their lives.

10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

What syciprider said holds true. Keep it. You may use it one day and besides you can always pass it on to the next generation. That was bought with love.

Rezdog

11. The D

The D

Oct 13, 2006
    Just keep the Ray and buy a new or used P bass. Its always nice to have a collection of basses.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I traded my Stingray for a vintage P-bass back in the day, and both am glad and regret it. While I'm mostly a Jazz bass player, I love both the P and the Ray sound.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dude, you already said you would keep it, and I think that is the best decision. There are many great sounding P-basses that you can get for very little, so there is no need to get rid of your Stingray. MIMs can be had for very little, and you might want to look for a nice, USA made Peavey Fury. They can be had for under $100 sometimes, but they are great instruments. The electronics can be dodgy, but they are cheap to fix. The general build quality is excellent in terms of fit and finish and materials.

14. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Please don't do that! you will ruin it and probably loose more in the long run, it's better to buy a cheap, used MIM P bass and upgrade pickups or/and bridge if needed.
    IMO.

15. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    AAHHH!! that was my first bass ever...i can't go back there...the memories of my suckiness will be too much to bear:smug:

16. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Are you like my long lost brother?

I am haveing the exact same problem. My case smells like maple syrup, and my bass is black and I don't like black. Im thinking about selling it and getting a p or jazz and upgrading my amp with the leftover money. I have been thinking about it for a while now.. Still no decision..I don't know what im going to do..

17. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I've had a similar problem. I own an SR4, and played a PJ for a while. I thought that I'd never play my Ray again because I loved the fender so much. Well, after a while I started playing the Ray again and glad I never got rif of it when I had that bug. I'm in love with it all over again :p

I'll eventually get a good P because a P is always a P...

18. I think you should get the P-bass, you obviously don't like the colour of the Stingray and repainting a bass can be expensive and inconveniant. Maybe you are just holding on to the ray for sentimental reasons, a P-bass would be a great change.

19. I would keep it bacause it was a gift from your parents. I still have my first bass, a P-bass that was a gift from my dad...I really don't play it, but I'll never get rid of it.
    Just save up some cash and get a used P-bass...they really aren't that painful to the wallet on the used market...
    If you get rid of something that was a gift, you'll feel guilty about it and will not enjoy the P-bass that you replaced it with as much.

20. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stingrays are the shiz

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021