1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I trade my Stingray for a P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Trade it

21 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Keep it

101 vote(s)
    82.8%
  1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Keep the 'Ray, it's a great instrument plus it's your HS grad gift from your parents. Major Sentimental Value there. Save up for a P-Bass and buy one, don't trade the 'Ray. You WILL regret it. If not for the bass, for the sentimental value of it. You will regret it one way or another.

2. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    Sounds like you already made up your mind to me. I will add if you haven't put new strings on the Ray recently I would do that before you make your final decision. I like having my Jazz and Ray because they are so different. Good luck with you decision.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I wouldn't trade it. I like Stingrays and I don't really like P basses. To me, that would be like trading a Lotus car for a Reliant Robin!

I think you'd regret a trade too!

4. amen

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes.

But that's just my biased opinion...:)

6. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Keep the Ray. You may find yourself in a playing or recording situation where the Ray is exactly what you need one day. The Stingray is one of the classic American bass guitars and will always have value and be considered a formidable instrument.

You may also find that your taste in instruments will very likely change and evolve over the years and you may one day really want to play this bass. As it was a gift as well, I would highly recommend keeping it!

Crabby

7. :rolleyes:

I say toss that Stingray....basses are meant to be played, right?

P-basses rule, imo...sorry, but I have been listening to a lot of early Crimson lately, and John Wetton's bass tone completely obliterates almost any tone I can think of, including Justin Chancellor's Wal tone.

I've yet to run across a Fender that played so bad that I wanted to put it up on the wall again..maybe just adjust the action..

Stingrays are great basses, but if I had one, and no P-bass(or Ric:) ), that thing is gone, boy!:p

I have a barely-used MIM Jazz bass that I want to unload for a P-bass right now, and even if it was a gift, I'd probably trade it anyway..

I say someone else could be enjoying that 'Ray right now.

8. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    i say keep the stingray.

i would be torn to give it away(as it seems you are)becasue of the sentimental value. and i love to acumulate things. i just love to have stuff even if i dont really use it : / as someone else said i would keep the ray and save up for a p-bass.

and plus, i like the sound of stingrays:)

*edit*after reading some more of the thread i read you decided to keep the stingray...:)good choice

9. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    You don't like it. Trade.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021