Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I trade my USA Sadowsky 4 for a new Sadowsky Metro 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigers2, Aug 21, 2004.

1. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    ok here's the deal.
    i bought my sadowsky 4 string back in 1992. I love the bass and we've been through a lot together.

the problem is that i've been playing my 5 String F-Bass about 99% of the time recently and haven't been playing my sadowsky. i'm just more comfortable playing a 5-string now. i'm thinking of possibly trading in my 4 string USA for a new Sadowsky Metro 5 string. i'll probably still have to kick in a few hundred bucks to do the trade.

what do you guys think? i know that everyone has been really happy with their Metros, but i'm sure their resale values are not going to be as high as their USA brothers. basically, if i decide that i don't like the Metro, i'll be losing at least $500.00 figuring that a used Metro will be going for around $1500.

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow a 92' Sadowsky, I don't think I could part with it.
    I guess if a 4-string isn't yor gig anymore, then I guess theres no point in keeping it.

3. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    if you like your 4 youd dig the 5 - no diff in quality nyc vs met .. youll cut your F up for firewood in a few months ...
    :D :D

4. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    That would be some expensive firewood. :p I think the
    Mtero and the Fbass would go great together!
    Which would be the back up might be the question. :)
    I LOVE my F... But I would like to give a Metro a test drive.
    Dan

5. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i don't think the F would ever be "firewood". i can't say enough good things about the feel, sound, and looks.

ya, i don't know what i'm going to do. i really don't want to part with the sadowsky 4 because it was the first "nice" bass that i've owned. i still play it every once in a while, but the F-Bass is my " #1 " right now. i probably should just save some pennies and keep the sadowsky, F, and then buy the Metro. 3 basses is better than 2 right?

i just have to convince my wife. :(

6. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    just kidding .. i loved my neck-through F5 and regret selling to this day!!...unfortunately, its' current owner loves it too.
    :crying: :crying:

7. your other option could be just selling the Sadowsky 4 on the classifieds here or on ebay, and then taking the money from that and putting it towards a NYC or metro 5 string.

I'm not sure if you were thinking of trading your bass in to a store or not, but usually you can get a lot more for it if you just sell it to another person. because most music stores will only give you something like 50% of what they can sell it for.

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I would sell the 4 string and watch ebay for a 5 string..you can probably get a NY 5 string Sadowsky on ebay for very close to the cost of a new Metro...its worth taking a look a at anyway...

9. If it's a really sweet one, as your post contends, you should hang on to it. The day will come where you join a band or need to record some stuff that calls for a Jazz 4, and you will really miss it then.

I am holding onto my Sadowsky JJ4 even though I play 5ers exclusively these days. When I get a great deal on a good used NY JJ5 I'll add it to my collection and probably enjoy it as much as I've loved the 4.

Aloha,

Jonathan

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I doubt that very seriously, yeah the Sadowsky Metros are nice but the F-bass isn't taking a "back seat to ither one of Rogers' basses NYC or Metro.

11. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i'm definately not looking to "replace" my F-Bass. i really love the bass, but i'm just looking for another great 5 string to add to the collection.

when i bought the F-Bass, i sat down and compared it to a NYC Modern Sadowsky 5, and i liked the F more. the soapbars on the Modern 5 were just a little to "mellow" for me. i've always loved the jazz pickup "growl" of my 4 string sadowsky, however.

i don't think i'll be able to get rid of the 4-string sadowsky. i'll probably just hold off a few more months and save some money up and buy me a Metro to put under my Christmas tree.

12. Sorry to hear that Craigers2----I've got money burning a whole in my pocket for your Sad 4----why not have Christmas in August? You REALLY want that Metro NOW and you CAN have it! :D I'm pathetic and shameless....

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    too bad you missed my vintage 5 sad sale.

my modern 5 may go on the block.

i love my sads though!!!

my vintage 4 will be buried with me.

f

14. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    ha ha.

i just can't part with the bass.

i bought the sadowsky when i was a junior in high school for $2000.00 after seeing a BassPlayer magazine with Will Lee on the cover. i've bought and sold about 5 or 6 nice basses since then, but just can't seem to part with this one.

15. You're doing the right thing for sure - it just doesn't fit my plans... :D I'll find one...with a little luck... :hyper:

16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I would love to read/hear a shootout between and F Bass and a Sadowsky 5. That would be most interesting indeed. I wouldn't count out the F Bass so quickly grasshopper.

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well, i have both and my favorite is.......

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I currently own 3 Sadowsky's. I love em. Ive had nine others, too. I owned 3 F's. Great basses. I find that Sadowsky's suited me better and they are the only bass I play now

I would keep your NYC 4. They are outstanding. U should keep a 4 in the arsenal and what better 4 to own

I just picked up a new metro 4 on Monday and also owned NAMM #2. AWESOME!!!!!

My others are NYC's A jj5 and a jj4.

Metros rock!! Totally up to par with Roger's NYC models.

Don't hesitate but dont sell the 4!!!!! LOL

Rob

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hmmm four letters maybe????

B-E-A-D

:bassist:

Keep the four string

20. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i'm gonna keep it :) i'm going to take it to my gigs this weekend to see if i can still play a 4 string.