Should I trade my USA Sadowsky 4 for a new Sadowsky Metro 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigers2, Aug 21, 2004.

1. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    ok here's the deal.
    i bought my sadowsky 4 string back in 1992. I love the bass and we've been through a lot together.

the problem is that i've been playing my 5 String F-Bass about 99% of the time recently and haven't been playing my sadowsky. i'm just more comfortable playing a 5-string now. i'm thinking of possibly trading in my 4 string USA for a new Sadowsky Metro 5 string. i'll probably still have to kick in a few hundred bucks to do the trade.

what do you guys think? i know that everyone has been really happy with their Metros, but i'm sure their resale values are not going to be as high as their USA brothers. basically, if i decide that i don't like the Metro, i'll be losing at least $500.00 figuring that a used Metro will be going for around $1500.
  2. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow a 92' Sadowsky, I don't think I could part with it.
    I guess if a 4-string isn't yor gig anymore, then I guess theres no point in keeping it.
  3. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    if you like your 4 youd dig the 5 - no diff in quality nyc vs met .. youll cut your F up for firewood in a few months ...
    :D :D
  4. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    That would be some expensive firewood. :p I think the
    Mtero and the Fbass would go great together!
    Which would be the back up might be the question. :)
    I LOVE my F... But I would like to give a Metro a test drive.

5. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i don't think the F would ever be "firewood". i can't say enough good things about the feel, sound, and looks.

ya, i don't know what i'm going to do. i really don't want to part with the sadowsky 4 because it was the first "nice" bass that i've owned. i still play it every once in a while, but the F-Bass is my " #1 " right now. i probably should just save some pennies and keep the sadowsky, F, and then buy the Metro. 3 basses is better than 2 right?

i just have to convince my wife. :(
  6. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    just kidding .. i loved my neck-through F5 and regret selling to this day!!...unfortunately, its' current owner loves it too.
    :crying: :crying:
  7. your other option could be just selling the Sadowsky 4 on the classifieds here or on ebay, and then taking the money from that and putting it towards a NYC or metro 5 string.

I'm not sure if you were thinking of trading your bass in to a store or not, but usually you can get a lot more for it if you just sell it to another person. because most music stores will only give you something like 50% of what they can sell it for.
  8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I would sell the 4 string and watch ebay for a 5 can probably get a NY 5 string Sadowsky on ebay for very close to the cost of a new Metro...its worth taking a look a at anyway...
  9. If it's a really sweet one, as your post contends, you should hang on to it. The day will come where you join a band or need to record some stuff that calls for a Jazz 4, and you will really miss it then.

I am holding onto my Sadowsky JJ4 even though I play 5ers exclusively these days. When I get a great deal on a good used NY JJ5 I'll add it to my collection and probably enjoy it as much as I've loved the 4.

10. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I doubt that very seriously, yeah the Sadowsky Metros are nice but the F-bass isn't taking a "back seat to ither one of Rogers' basses NYC or Metro.
  11. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i'm definately not looking to "replace" my F-Bass. i really love the bass, but i'm just looking for another great 5 string to add to the collection.

when i bought the F-Bass, i sat down and compared it to a NYC Modern Sadowsky 5, and i liked the F more. the soapbars on the Modern 5 were just a little to "mellow" for me. i've always loved the jazz pickup "growl" of my 4 string sadowsky, however.

i don't think i'll be able to get rid of the 4-string sadowsky. i'll probably just hold off a few more months and save some money up and buy me a Metro to put under my Christmas tree.
  12. Sorry to hear that Craigers2----I've got money burning a whole in my pocket for your Sad 4----why not have Christmas in August? You REALLY want that Metro NOW and you CAN have it! :D I'm pathetic and shameless....
  13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    too bad you missed my vintage 5 sad sale.

my modern 5 may go on the block.

i love my sads though!!!

my vintage 4 will be buried with me.

14. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    ha ha.

i just can't part with the bass.

i bought the sadowsky when i was a junior in high school for $2000.00 after seeing a BassPlayer magazine with Will Lee on the cover. i've bought and sold about 5 or 6 nice basses since then, but just can't seem to part with this one.
  15. You're doing the right thing for sure - it just doesn't fit my plans... :D I'll find one...with a little luck... :hyper:
  16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I would love to read/hear a shootout between and F Bass and a Sadowsky 5. That would be most interesting indeed. I wouldn't count out the F Bass so quickly grasshopper.
  17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well, i have both and my favorite is.......
  18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I currently own 3 Sadowsky's. I love em. Ive had nine others, too. I owned 3 F's. Great basses. I find that Sadowsky's suited me better and they are the only bass I play now

I would keep your NYC 4. They are outstanding. U should keep a 4 in the arsenal and what better 4 to own

I just picked up a new metro 4 on Monday and also owned NAMM #2. AWESOME!!!!!

My others are NYC's A jj5 and a jj4.

Metros rock!! Totally up to par with Roger's NYC models.

Don't hesitate but dont sell the 4!!!!! LOL

19. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hmmm four letters maybe????

Keep the four string
  20. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i'm gonna keep it :) i'm going to take it to my gigs this weekend to see if i can still play a 4 string.