Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I trust the Guitar center to lower the action on my cort curbow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Dec 4, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I have a four string cort curbow with flatwound strings but the strings are like a mile high off the fret board. It's extremely hard for me to play cords and play as fast as I can.
    I never let anybody touch my bass.

But I'm not mechanically inclined. Can I trust these guys to do it? Also, if they screw it up can I get a new bass for free? :D

Should I let them do it?

2. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Help?

3. I don't trust the guys at our guitar center to carry my item to the cash register...

But, that's just me, for some reason I'm very negatively biased towards GC, not sure why exactly.

Guess that doesn't help you much, lol, sry!

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    mneh, I'm not sure, it depends on your GC. I know that i've never seen the set up table at the NYC gc without a guitar on it. I think it's hard to mess up a truss rod adjustment if the dude knows what he's doing...unless he completely overtightens and snaps the mother. I say read the set-up sticky in Setup and repair and give it a shot yourself. You'll never have to pay for another set up again.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Don't be intimidated, it's simple and pretty tough to damage anything if you are careful. If the action is as high as you say, you should be able to lower it some without having to worry about the truss rod - THAT's something best left to someone more experienced. If there's a sticky thread as someone said, check it out.

6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    The guitar centers around here hire a company to run the repair dept. I would say it depends on the individual that is in the store that you walk into.

Maybe you could find a luthier in your area.

7. Lowering action isn't all that difficult. A GC should be able to handle it but, as others have suggested, look at the stickies and judge for yourself whether you feel comfortable doing it yourself or not.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Do it yourself. It's very easy. You may be able to do it by just adjusting the string saddles. If you have to mess with your truss rod, read up on set up first. It's not a technical job it just helps to know what exactly is supposed to happen and what to look out for.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Most guitar centers send instruments out for repair/setup. Apparently they don't trust guys making $5.50/hr-commsion to handle setups on instruments any more than I do.

I think its well worth it for any any bassist to go through the effort of learning to do setups themselves. Basses seem to be much more sensitive to smalle changes in setup, so being able to handle them yourself is a real time adn money saver over the years.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It doesn't take much smarts to turn a truss rod. The only thing to really remember, is to take it slow, and take it easy.

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'd say learn yourself. But then again, some of the guys at my local GC are pretty cool, or at least the bass guy was...