1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I Trust the Provided Bass Rig Or Bring My Own?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My band is playing Langleystock 2007. Its an outdoor festival with 6 bands.

The organizer told me all 6 bands will be using a Traynor "Bass Mate" and that's all the info I have.

I haven't been in this situation before and it makes me a little nervous. I know I can rely on my rig but if I could avoid having to lug it down that would be good.

Should I lug my own rig down or just trust that I can get by with this Traynor dealie?

2. What if the house rig is junk? If you bring yours & don't have to use it just leave it in the van/car/moped. I've relied on someone's word before & totally regretted it. You are a bass player. If you're not prepared to lug the biggest & heaviest rig in the band, switch to kazoo. BYO. You will thank me.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
  4. Whenever I've done gigs like this I've ALWAYS taken MY OWN AMP-at least-often the cab as well!!! One festival we did, I was told there would be an Ampeg SVT head & SVT810 cab! I took my (now gone) old Aus made '70's tube head along just in case. When I got there-the "SVT" amp was a SVT350H-I hadn't seen these B4 & went lookin round back of it to see the tubes......................shock horror-NONE THERE!!!!!!!
    Ppl looked at me as tho I was mad when I lifted the "SVT" off the 810E cab & stuck my trusty old babe there... But the sound soon shut 'em up. Now B4 U say I'm stuck in my ways.... I did try this Ampeg SVT350H for a set..... That was enough---2 me..was the same as most S.S. amps........ & I didn't want that to be MY sound.
    So(sorry 4 rant) I'd be taking my amp(at least) & don't leave it in the car-if U end up using the supplied gear. I always take mine inside & leave it behind me-somewhere safe....!

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    It doesnt sound like there will be ANY monitoring. Guitar amp, bass rig, drumkit and PA that's it. I know its outside and I'm pretty sure its on a farm or some acreage as there is talk of people camping over.

My guitarist is very picky about his tone and I'm sure he'll bring his own amp.

The thing is.. if every band brings their own gear then doesnt that cause delays that eat into the playing time and force audience members to wait while the players fiddle with their toys?

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    zero monitors? That doesn't seem right. Any half rate sound company should provide at least one monitor mix.. if not half a dozen. If that really is the case though, good luck... and bring all of your own gear.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It looks like you may already be on the road to maximum suckage. Bring your amp to provide a bridge to a halfway respectable sound.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Traynor Bass Mate is a very low powered tube amp from the '60s/'70s whose name has been recently resurrected for low power s/s combos. No amp with this name has a hope of providing decent backline for any larger gig, let alone an outdoor one.

Alex

9. bassmangreg

bassmangreg

Jun 20, 2001
    Warrenton, NC
    I agree with bringing your own everything, even if you don't end up using it. I don't play good enough yet to use cheap gear. Also, my signature means, don't be the person in shock because of some crappy amp.

10. Yes it CAN mean ppl have to wait longer..... but if U have yr gear virtually ready 2 go backstage-U should be able to "slide"-or lift with a mate/ push.... yr rig on & get it set up in under 10 mins! In these situ's take just the bare necessities, the simple bear necess...." ;-) amp, cab,leads, guitar-FX IF a MUST! Just make sure U & yr band sound GOOD!

11. Hi.

I've been to a situation similar to that a number of times, on both sides of the fence.

If there's no backline changes scheduled, a good chance is that there won't be any, PERIOD.

IMHO the correct way to deal with the situation is to talk with the organizer in advance and perhaps offer them to use Your rig (BAD choice IMO) or to use some other bass players rig (equally bad for them), if they can only offer a low wattage combo amp. Besides the bass player, also at least the drummer has to rely on that backline alone to hear what's going on.

It would also somewhat help to know the size of the crowd and the style of the music, a jazz gig and a rock gig require quite different means of monitoring, backline, stage setup etc.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

12. Bring your own rig and leave it in the van if you don't need it. Good luck! :D

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Are you being paid a worthwhile amount? If so take the $ and don't worry about the sound, everyone else will be in the same boat. OTOH, if you're doing it on the cheap or as a freebie 'showcase' the last thing you want to do is damage your bands rep by sounding like crap. Insist on being provided with a full list of all the gear being used, including the PA, and if it's junk opt out.

14. Bring your head/rack, at least that's what I do. If the cab(s) aren't A-1, hopefully you're DI'd. Shouldn't be a big deal.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Exactly.
    The original version of this is a great harmonica amp, and a passable guitar amp-tho it's no Bassman.
    It would *suck* for bass, especially outdoors.

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Between all six of the bands someone has to have a rig that can handle an outdoor gig. If not, combine a couple of rigs to get a big enough sound. Then have all the bands share that.

My first bass amp was a Bass Mate and it couldn't even be heard over a typical drummer!

Alex

17. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    if the promoter/organizer says all the bands will be using bassamp "X", that usually means they are trying to cut down on setup times. They might not let you setup and then breakdown your own rig.

I don't know anything about the traynor amp but what style of music is it; do you really need to be that loud on stage? Generally outdoor festivals will have pretty beefy sound/PA, and you'll have to trust the soundman to make it sound right out front. "Your sound" will only be heard on stage so I'd say it's not worth it to lug all your heavy bass gear to the gig. been there, done that. it gets old fast.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, first off I'm pretty sure this is not what one might call a professionally organized show. I responded to an ad on craigslist advertising for bands playing an outdoor music "festival". I think what it is is a fellow musician (he's a bassist actually) is throwing this together in his (large) backyard. Probably about a half acre or more. Where we are playing is farm-ish country. I am not sure about those details but that sounds about right.

My band has been on hiatus for the last few weeks and want to get more exposure as we are fairly new (or at least havent been playing out too much). So this is a freebie we are doing for fun. You never know someone in the crowd might want us to play their party or something. At any rate, its not a big deal.

I am going to ask what size/kind of cab he's providing and bring my own amp (Carvin B800). If the cab is small I'll bring my UL310. That will have to do.

It takes me very little time to get my rig together. Plug the amp in the power source and the amp into the cab. Tune up and plug the bass into the amp and go. 5 min. tops.

As far as what type of music it is, sounds to me like a mixed bag. Probably more towards the classic rock thing, but honestly I have no idea. We're a rockabilly band so that appeals to him as its a bit of variety.

19. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Yeah I've done the provided backline at Jams. Usually its enough to cut it (410 w/ 200+ watts). However on the outdoor shows in town with provided backline I either see Dual Eden 410XLT's w/ a WT800 head, an SVT-CL through an SVT-810, SWR SM-500 and dual Goliath III's, or some older Trace Elliot 410+115 w/ 400w 12-band head. All of those rigs are enough for stage, and the front of house being over 10,000w would cut it.

If the promoter of your show is indeed a bass player, he will probably let you schlep your own gear. Do it. Bring it just in case. You never know, it may sound ok with his stuff as well.

I know this is a low dollar event, i've played those countless times doing the Christian rock thing. They all work out in the end.

20. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    I dont know what your rig is, but i once carried my Hartke 7000 head (40lbs), a Peavey 2x10 (50), and my bass/effects and had the rig set up (including DI'd in and a level check), in 5 minutes.

If its really a concern, set it up offstage, on a carpet/towel, with everything connected except the bass and slide it on when you go on.