Should I upgrade my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guinessdrinker, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Hi all.
    I am currently playing a Washburn Force 40 P-J bass with EMG Pickups through a Peavey TNT 150 amp with a 15" speaker.
    The band I play in has 2 accoustic guitars and drum tracks from a CD going through the PA. When we practice, my amp works fine since we are inside and don't get too loud. However, we have started gigging about 2-3 times a month and I wonder if I should get a better quality or louder setup for my bass. So far, 3 of our gigs were outside.
    Also, I have read some about how a good amp makes a large difference in sound quality.
    If I were to upgrade, does anyone have any suggestions of what I should get?
    Thanks for any advise!
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    It would help if you could specify what kind of tone you are looking for and what your budget is.

Are you looking for a combo solution or rack?

We need more details.
  3. hmmm, not sure what kind of tone since this is the only amp I have ever played through. We usually play classic rock, some blues and maybe later a little funk. So, I guess I need something that I can use for different styles of music.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    another question.. how many people are you playing for? If there is a PA system.. why don't you run through that aswell??
  5. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    What is the most you are willing to spend? What do you anticipate you will need in the future? Any plans on playing with electric guitars and a drummer? Where do you think your current amp is most deficient (volume, tone, flexibility, etc.)? What’s most important to you in a new amp? Where are you willing to give? For example, great tone and small size are possible if you don’t need a lot of volume. High volume with small size is easier to get if you don’t need to handle a low B.