1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I upgrade my practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Helbent Revenge, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Helbent Revenge

Helbent Revenge

Feb 16, 2009
    One of the many things I've saving up for is a full stack of either a Hartke 3500 with a VX410 and VX115, or a Ashdown ABM115 and ABM410T (head yet to be determined). I'm not too sure how I'd be using them when I get them, as that's quite a lot to pack around from place to place, and right now I just have a practice amp that came with a starter pack 5 years ago, still works fine I guess, I mean I haven't tried my bass through anything else, so the tone is fine.

The amp (my only one) is an Ibanez SW35, it seems to be okay, but maybe that's just because I haven't experimented with anything else, maybe it sucks. I like a low thumpy big fat tone, on my bass I have the treble and mid turned all the way down and bass all the way up, I think that's just the instrument though. The settings on my amp are as follows: bass +15 (full), mid -3, treble -12, presence +15 (full), then gain and volume I adjust often.

So should I keep saving for a big stack or get a new practice amp? Right now I'm jamming periodically with a buddy who has a keyboard and a guitar, and we might be getting a drummer soon. If it ends up as I should get a new amp, I'll probably make a seperate thread for it. Thanks everyone!

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Small practice amps will never sound like a 410 w/ 300 watts. Save up for a gigging rig. Keep the practice amp. All its for is low volume home practice so you know what you are playing. And it does that, doesnt it?

3. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008

+1 It is also the reason you are having to adjust your bass to get the lows you want. I don't think you'll have that problem with a larger rig. I have a Hartke 3500 and it is a pretty reliable head.:bassist:

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, keep saving, and keep what you got.