1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I upgrade to an Ovation Magnum from a knock off Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StealthBanana, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Keep the 'Ray!

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Go with the Magnum!

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Hi all, about a year and a half ago I bought a SBMM 'Ray 34 bass after upgrading from my old Peavey T-40 (a great bass, but it was too heavy to gig with) but just the other day I noticed my local Guitar Center has one vintage Ovation Magnum, a bass I always dreamed of owning and it was sitting right infront of me. I tested her out and she plays and sounds like a bass should play and sound in my opinion. The price isn't too bad either, it's going for $800 but I'd get some discounts if I trade in some of my old gear and my current bass, the SBMM 'Ray 34. I think they said like 60% of the trade in value can go towards the bass or something like that, and that's after a 10% discount on the bass itself so I think I can afford the upgrade if I pull the trigger, but should I? My band mates really want me to get the Magnum as they think it suits our heavier sound more than the Stingray (we have three guitarists so go figure).

What should I do you guys? I really like my 'Ray but I gotta admit I dug the deeper tone of the Magnum and it's a vintage instrument too. The previous owner passed away so his Widow brought in his bass and gear to Guitar Center to trade in. This is a once in a life time opportunity for me to buy this bass at a Guitar Center or perhaps anywhere, but I wanted some opinions and feedback first.

Here's an image of her...

[​IMG]

2. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Well, if it was me, I would go for the Ovation. Those basses are the definition of "cool" IMO. Plus if the sound of the Ovation matches your music better, then that's enough of a reason right there. Btw, I have seen Magnums sell for anywhere from $800 to $1100, so it sounds like a reasonable price to me.

Enjoy!

3. I dig the magnums, myself. Go for it!

4. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Seems a bit lofty for the Magnum, price wise.
    Just my $0.02...

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends on the Magnum. The Is and IIs seem to go for ~$750-900, and the IIIs and IVs seem to be around $600-750

I've owned both a Stingray and a Magnum IV... both are basses I really, really liked. In the end, I think I preferred the Stingray, but it wasn't by a whole lot. The Magnums are great sounding basses, and have a lot of tones under the hood. They're kinda apples and oranges, but you if the Magnum works for you, I'd probably jump on the Magnum, as Stingrays are never hard to find, but Magnums don't come up all that often. By comparison, anyway.

6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yes. This.

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Not seeing your picture, but I'd go for it if I were you. Why? Because you said it plays and sounds like a bass should. Game over IMO. :)

Maybe GC will budge on the price.

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned a vintage Ovation Magnum for quite awhile. Great bass but pretty heavy IMO. You mentioned that you got rid of the Peavey because it was too heavy, sooo ....... ?

9. Yes but a Stingray is also considered to be "heavy" and I think the weight feels just fine (I'm a bigger guy so maybe that's why). Are you telling me that a Magnum weighs 13 pounds? I held it the other day and yes it was heavy, but it didn't feel as heavy as the T-40.

10. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I never weighed it but it was the heaviest bass I ever owned. Never owned a T-40 though.