Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I use a Compressor

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Johnalex, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I have a Fostex analog multitracker and I was wondering if I should use a compressor. When I start to slap I reach my peak really easy..... SO should I use a compressor or just play softer? and also what is a good compressor pedal? thanks

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Another option, besides the compressor, is a limiter, which works kinda almost maybe sorta like a compressor. What it does is keep your signal below a certain level, so when you slap or pop, it won't hit the peaks, depending on how you set it. A compressor keeps the signal below a certain level, but also above another level, giving you a happy medium. Just be careful not to overdo either effect. If you're looking for a pedal, Boss makes a limiter/enhancer pedal, and DOD makes a decent compressor. I"m not sure if a Boss makes a compressor, someone can correct me if they do. f they do though, i'm sure it's good.

If you are peaking all the time, though, check the gain on your multitracker, or even lower the output on your bass. Lowering either will keep you from unwanted peaks.

Good luck!

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    There's a lot about compressors in effects, which is I think, what you need. The compressor makes things even out. The soft stuff gets louder and the loud stuff gets softer, sort of. It sounds good if it's not used in a heavy handed way.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stay away from using stompbox compressors for recording.
    There are good and relatively cheap rackmount models around (Alesis, dbx, Behringer). Usually you can use them as limiters too.

5. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Should be ok for basic homerecording.